• Register Today It's free!

Motor mounts UPDATE

bammbamm

Reaction score
City, State
arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer limited
Hey everyone. I purchased motor mounts(same ones I've used on past explorers) from rockauto a few weeks ago. I put the explorer up on the lift today to finally change them out, only to realize the ones currently on the explorer are different than any I've seen on an expo(see pics). Does anyone else have these mounts or know where I can order them? Can't seem to find them anywhere.

20181112_140628.jpg

20181112_140613.jpg

20181112_140421.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's because those are not factory motor mounts. It's hard to tell, but those look like custom solid mounts somebody made.

Interesting
Is this the 94 limited in your signature?
Those are not factory mounts, are they all metal? I agree with Dan looks like somebody already replaced those mounts for you :)
What does the trans mount look like?

Yes it is the 94. They are rubber mounts up above the metal frame section that actually attaches where the normal mount would. It looks like if I put the normal mounts in, it would drop the engine about 2-3 inches.

I'm the second owner of this vehicle and the original owner kept a meticulous log of services. I mean absolutely meticulous. I went through the entire log book and never found engine or trans mount being replaced. The trans mount was definately extremely old when I took it off(hard as a rock and broken on both sides).

Just an update and a couple more questions.

I went to just install factory motor mounts because mine are so worn out. I started pulling the ones currently installed and noticed a part # and the ford emblem. Part # reads F47A-6038-HA(pass side) and GA (drivers side). Search online and come up with nothing. Going to try and call ford tomorrow to see if they can cross reference or maybe have a superseded part#. The mounts that I bought will not work with my vehicle even if I removed everything in the way.

Anybody have a way to cross reference a part # online that I probably havent tried already?

20181118_150611.jpg

20181118_145548.jpg

Update: just got off the phone with ford. They said it is an obsolete mount that was installed from the factory on a very very small number of explorers. I will have to change the brackets out to the more common motor mount.

Wow, I'd hold on to those just because they are that rare. Interesting that Ford used those on such a late model first gen. Most of the oddball stuff is on 91's.

My ancient mentor at a ford dealer had a quote he always would mutter (amongst several curse words) that Ford factory workers assembled them with any bolt or part they found laying on the floor.

It holds true in the 90s diesels I'm into as well as the Broncos and as I learn more about this explorer, seems true here also haha

Back