Driver Side Motor Mount

Spdrcer34

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XL
This is in the Stock 1st Gen Forum, so I obviously have the 4.0L OHV motor.

The DS (Left) motor mount on my Explorer is broken.

It is so bad that I have actually pulled the vacuum line from the brake booster, causing a SERIOUS safety risk!

I got the idea to run 1 solid mount, and keep the soft mount on the Passenger side.....this is my Daily Driver, any SEVERE drawbacks to this set-up? Keep in mind that I already have a 5" drop on my X, so ride 'quality' is near the BOTTOM of requirements for me.

Anyone have detailed measurments of the stock motor mount?

Thanks,
Ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

why not get a used one from a parts car?

a new motor mount is 25 buck and garunteed to fit....

And guaranteed to break again.....

I REALLY need to get this fixed...it is causing SEVERE driveability issues. My fan is rubbing the shroud, and WILL NOT turn AT ALL. And my driveline is now rubbing the body.

Maybe I'll come up with something today....

Ryan

I've never run a solid mount on a truck engine before. I"ve done it on a motorcycle since I kept braking the normal mounts. It definatly put more vibration in..

Assuming you could make a strong enough mount you could run a single solid mount. If the mount isn't strong enough it will also break..

The worst I can see using a solid mount is vibration being transfered into the frame. I doubt it will hurt the frame but it will vibrate alot..

~Mark

I wasn't aware of a Poly mount option.

Who makes it?

Ryan

shoot ive broken 3 poly mounts and the oem one within the last 2 years, once while in a muddy gully that i had to climb a huge hill to get out of, i had to climb it in reverse! FYI the reason this kept happening was a combo me being to rough in 4low and my tranny mount was bad...mostly the tranny mount

Who makes a Poly mount for the 4.0L OHV in a 1st Gen X? Where can I buy one?

Ryan

Who makes a Poly mount for the 4.0L OHV in a 1st Gen X? Where can I buy one?

Ryan

I bought mine from Kragens, i believe they were Daystar. I recommend changing out the tranny mount too, i bought a solid mount for that and i love it! solid mount was big $$ though, but its the last one i'll ever have to buy

I just tried the Daystar website....how pathetic. That site is among the worst that I have visited in a while.

On to Energy Suspension's site...I know they have a good layout...gonna try there.

Ryan

..okay...no luck @ Energy Suspension...

Ryan

..just an update..

I ended up not needing a motor mount. The bolts came loose. I bought new ones from the dealer, and installed them..

Ryan

Back