motor swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

motor swap

jonnyslick

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not, if so please direct me in the right direction ...

But I have the 4.6L in my Mountaineer now, how hard would it be to swap in a 4.6L from a Mustang and then supercharge it using a Mustang kit? Also, could you swap in a 5.4L or 4.6L from a Cobra?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can supercharge it without needing to swap motors; you just need to modify a few bits from a mustang kit.

The 4.6 and 5.4 share many components, but not sure exactly how much bigger (if any) the 5.4 actually is, so can't help you there, but I would say it's doable - anything is for the right price!

the 5.4L is longer, I dont know if it will clear. The 4.6L Cobra engine will fit, but you'll need to make a lot of adjustments...you're better off just keeping ur current engine and getting a blower setup.

Ok ... thanks guys. So which supercharger kit works the best and what kinds of modifications have to be made to make it work? Again, if there is a thread already existing on this point me in the right direction. :salute:

There's at least one thread in this section dealing with this - try pages 2 or 3 if it's not on the list on the first page. From memory, anything for the 99-01 Mustangs is the closest fit to our trucks.

With the Explorer 4.6 you have an aluminum block. Not all year Mustngs had aluminum blocks.

I know 94-97 T-Bird and Cougar owners love getting their hands on 4.6 Explorers & Mountaineers.

Ok ... thanks guys. So which supercharger kit works the best and what kinds of modifications have to be made to make it work? Again, if there is a thread already existing on this point me in the right direction. :salute:

Kenne Bell 1.7L or saleen series IV. iirc those will clear stock hoods. Use the thread JCUZ posted for everything else

Back