Motorcraft oil shout out | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft oil shout out

I do not want this to turn into yet another oil debate…just want to share my experience…

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6L V8, 173,000 miles on the odometer, original trans and engine…it’s had regular oil changes, but at least the last one was done at a quick-lube place, they used Valvoline oil, probably a synth blend…5-20W…anyway, since we’ve owned it (we’re about 5,000 miles into it), the engine has always sounded a little clatterey or rattley. Hard to explain. I was worried it was cam chain issues but the noise wasn’t audible from the front, and I couldn’t really even hear it at the top of the motor. I could only really hear it in the cabin and particularly under load. I assumed it was just normal although my ‘01 Mustang doesn’t sound like that…although the supercharger and performance exhaust might drown it out. So I just assumed it was normal noise or maybe normal for a motor that’s getting long in the tooth. Changed my oil yesterday and filter. I always get the Motorcraft filters. By the way it was literally double the size of the Valvoline filter the quick lube place installed. Geez. Well, I used Motorcraft full synthetic 5-20W…clatterey noise gone…totally gone. I suspect it was valve train. Throttle response significantly improved. And don’t get me wrong, the Explorer has plenty of get-up-and-go but this was like “woah”, big difference. I bet we’ll pick up another 1-2 mpg average which EASILY pays for the cost difference on the more expensive oil. Just wanted to share my experience. This is the oil I put in:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...suv-2003-ford-explorer?q=Motorcraft+oil&pos=3
In my previous 2001 Explorer Sport 4.0 V6 started clacking from the hydraulic lifters. I noticed the high mileage conventional and synthetic oils becoming popular. I gave Valvoline high mileage full synthetic oil a try. It quieted the lifters immediately. I failed to follow up on if the mpg improved with the high mileage full synthetic oil. Several oil changes and years later it was still quiet.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would just use Castrol GTX since it's synthetic blend now and available at Walmarts for a decent price.

4.0L = 5W30

4.6L = 5W20

I've been using Castrol GTX 5W30 since I got my Exp and I'm at 240K with original timing chains.

imo, i think that the lifter quieting was less from a different oil (partly, but not much), but because HM oils have more detergents and probably flushed some debris out of the lifters, which was restricting flow (jmo) personally, im a M1 fan

I do not want this to turn into yet another oil debate…just want to share my experience…

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6L V8, 173,000 miles on the odometer, original trans and engine…it’s had regular oil changes, but at least the last one was done at a quick-lube place, they used Valvoline oil, probably a synth blend…5-20W…anyway, since we’ve owned it (we’re about 5,000 miles into it), the engine has always sounded a little clatterey or rattley. Hard to explain. I was worried it was cam chain issues but the noise wasn’t audible from the front, and I couldn’t really even hear it at the top of the motor. I could only really hear it in the cabin and particularly under load. I assumed it was just normal although my ‘01 Mustang doesn’t sound like that…although the supercharger and performance exhaust might drown it out. So I just assumed it was normal noise or maybe normal for a motor that’s getting long in the tooth. Changed my oil yesterday and filter. I always get the Motorcraft filters. By the way it was literally double the size of the Valvoline filter the quick lube place installed. Geez. Well, I used Motorcraft full synthetic 5-20W…clatterey noise gone…totally gone. I suspect it was valve train. Throttle response significantly improved. And don’t get me wrong, the Explorer has plenty of get-up-and-go but this was like “woah”, big difference. I bet we’ll pick up another 1-2 mpg average which EASILY pays for the cost difference on the more expensive oil. Just wanted to share my experience. This is the oil I put in:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...suv-2003-ford-explorer?q=Motorcraft+oil&pos=3
I have a 05 explorer XLT with 230,000 original miles. I’ve always used Quaker state and Fram filters and it’s still kickin’ lol.

I DON'T LIKE THE STATEMENT YOU MADE THAT YOU "THINK IT WAS ....(OIL WEIGHT AND TYPE, ETC.)". NOBODY SHOULD HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF NOT KNOWING WHAT OILS, ETC. ARE USED ON THEIR VEHICLES ESPECIALLY QUICK-LUBE SHOPS. AND THAT CHEAPO OIL FILTER - YOU COULD HAVE RUINED LOTS OF THINGS. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD CHANGE OUT THE NEW OIL AND FILTER NOW AGAIN. I THINK THE CORRECT FILTER DID MORE TO CORRECT THE NOISE THAN THE OIL.

I had a 99 Windstar, 3.8 that had about 200,000 miles on it. After 10k miles, I switched and always used Mobil 1. Quite, reliable. I took advantage of a "deal" on valvoline (can't remember weight, maybe 5w-20, but same as Mobil 1 I'd been using). It then had a small to moderate sound, what sounded like an upper end rod knock or piston slap. I called Valvoline for their 100% "satisfaction" guarantee and they said it didn't cover noise (ironically, evidently only covers a failure?). I changed that oil at less than 1,000 miles. The noise went away and so did my opinion of valvoline! They used to be the best "conventional" oil, but their synthetic sucks. I'm guessing it works great in a new engine, but also don't want to take the chance of damage, not to mention their Customer Service falling flat after all the $$$'s I've spent on Valvoline over the years.

whooo!!! all caps... JK... anwyays OP said they changed it out to the proper motorcraft filter+oil, so the issue has been corrected... and quick lube shops probably have universal filters to save operating costs, and even some normal filters seem to have lost some size to me... i would say that probably the contamination has been mostly ridden of, and any leftover oil is negligible in relation to the rest of the oil, so it should be fine, as most of the extra wear, contamnation, etc is suspended in the oil, so when it drains it should go with it... but i agree!!! if we go a shop, we shoudl know whats in our vehicle... but alas, we dont... and thats what the forum is for;) were the 1% who want to know whats being done, when most people probably could care less untilt heir vehicle leaves em stranded
I DON'T LIKE THE STATEMENT YOU MADE THAT YOU "THINK IT WAS ....(OIL WEIGHT AND TYPE, ETC.)". NOBODY SHOULD HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF NOT KNOWING WHAT OILS, ETC. ARE USED ON THEIR VEHICLES ESPECIALLY QUICK-LUBE SHOPS. AND THAT CHEAPO OIL FILTER - YOU COULD HAVE RUINED LOTS OF THINGS. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD CHANGE OUT THE NEW OIL AND FILTER NOW AGAIN. I THINK THE CORRECT FILTER DID MORE TO CORRECT THE NOISE THAN THE OIL.

Btw, Valvoline was fast oil change place too.

hmmm... nice feedback! was the oil weights same? if it was 5-20, iirc the windstars took 5-30, which could have been an issue too, as the film wouldnt be as "strong" but if it was same as the M1... the not sure... personally valvoline has been fine the times ive used it, but i usually use M1... and sorry to say it, but most large companies customer service aint too great, heck sometimes you cant even find a real person, let alone someone who knows the ins and outs of the company... so far thats very far and few.. i must respect digikey though, as in my experience theyve been great!
Sorry if this posts 2x, didn't work 1st time until logged in.

I had a 99 Windstar, 3.8 that had about 200,000 miles on it. After 10k miles, I switched and always used Mobil 1. Quite, reliable. I took advantage of a "deal" on valvoline (can't remember weight, maybe 5w-20, but same as Mobil 1 I'd been using). It then had a small to moderate sound, what sounded like an upper end rod knock or piston slap. I called Valvoline for their 100% "satisfaction" guarantee and they said it didn't cover noise (ironically, evidently only covers a failure?). I changed that oil at less than 1,000 miles. The noise went away and so did my opinion of valvoline! They used to be the best "conventional" oil, but their synthetic sucks. I'm guessing it works great in a new engine, but also don't want to take the chance of damage, not to mention their Customer Service falling flat after all the $$$'s I've spent on Valvoline over the years.

How many miles on your engine?
I have replace mine with a crate V8 and they told me not to use synthetics for some reason. Are they wrong?

I have a 04 at 193k it also does that rattly chattery noise on idle. The oil change is coming up man I hope it goes away I will put this in consideration

hmmm... nice feedback! was the oil weights same? if it was 5-20, iirc the windstars took 5-30, which could have been an issue too, as the film wouldnt be as "strong" but if it was same as the M1... the not sure... personally valvoline has been fine the times ive used it, but i usually use M1... and sorry to say it, but most large companies customer service aint too great, heck sometimes you cant even find a real person, let alone someone who knows the ins and outs of the company... so far thats very far and few.. i must respect digikey though, as in my experience theyve been great!
Sweetbeats:

I am 74, owned a couple dozen cars and 40 or so motorcycles, some for racing. I have used Castrol for 50 years, dinosaur at first, now synthetic. I'm sure there are other oils out there just as good, but I'm not about to switch now.

My wife's 2009 Toyota Sienna has 180,000 miles on it (still on the original spark plugs) and my 1994 Ford Ranger has 230,000 miles on it. I change oil every 5K (in my driveway) and have used Fram, Wix or Mobil 1 filters (Walmart for the best prices). I have NEVER had an oil related wear problem with ANY of my vehicles' engines. (Transmissions, yes, but not engines). The Ranger has hauled 2000 lbs of decomposed granite (it has overload springs in the back) and it's 2.3L four cylinder has had to work pretty hard. Still, never and oil related problem. I must say however, the filter on my Ranger seems much larger than yours on the Explorer. About twice as tall, Fram ID is PH8A. I would add a picture but could not figure how to do that in this missive.

The only issues with the Ranger have been with computer controlled sensors and I've learned to use Motorcraft ONLY. The AM units are junk and don't last long, some only a year.

I have a 04 at 193k it also does that rattly chattery noise on idle. The oil change is coming up man I hope it goes away I will put this in consideration
is it only at idle? its not the timing chain rattle, correct?

Sweetbeats:

I am 74, owned a couple dozen cars and 40 or so motorcycles, some for racing. I have used Castrol for 50 years, dinosaur at first, now synthetic. I'm sure there are other oils out there just as good, but I'm not about to switch now.

My wife's 2009 Toyota Sienna has 180,000 miles on it (still on the original spark plugs) and my 1994 Ford Ranger has 230,000 miles on it. I change oil every 5K (in my driveway) and have used Fram, Wix or Mobil 1 filters (Walmart for the best prices). I have NEVER had an oil related wear problem with ANY of my vehicles' engines. (Transmissions, yes, but not engines). The Ranger has hauled 2000 lbs of decomposed granite (it has overload springs in the back) and it's 2.3L four cylinder has had to work pretty hard. Still, never and oil related problem. I must say however, the filter on my Ranger seems much larger than yours on the Explorer. About twice as tall, Fram ID is PH8A. I would add a picture but could not figure how to do that in this missive.

The only issues with the Ranger have been with computer controlled sensors and I've learned to use Motorcraft ONLY. The AM units are junk and don't last long, some only a year.
how do you like the frams? i saw a cutaway a long time back on fordtrucks and it seemed like the MC filters were better, let me know your thoughts! isued to use the ph8a filters iirc

If you can't change your own oil I would suggest only getting your oil changes done at the Ford dealer as they won't have nearly as many wrong oils and filters laying around to choose from as a "universal" quick-lube.

ah true... but its the stealership! :p just know why yore there, and for nothing else!

imo, i think that the lifter quieting was less from a different oil (partly, but not much), but because HM oils have more detergents and probably flushed some debris out of the lifters, which was restricting flow (jmo) personally, im a M1 fan
I had been using Valvoline Semi Synthetic oil prior to going Valvoline full Synthetic HM. Your the first to report more detergents might be in the HM oils. Originally I thought HM oil had some O-Ring or Gasket restorative properties, similar to leak stop additives.

I had been using Valvoline Semi Synthetic oil prior to going Valvoline full Synthetic HM. Your the first to report more detergents might be in the HM oils. Originally I thought HM oil had some O-Ring or Gasket restorative properties, similar to leak stop additives.
i think its got both iirc... cause iirc it does have low levels of seal sweller, and i couldve sworn it had more detergents, let me check on that one

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ah true... but its the stealership! :p just know why yore there, and for nothing else!

Some Ford dealerships have a separate "Quick Lane" service center.

I had my alignment done at one and it was cheaper than Midas, Christian Brothers, Firestone and everywhere else I checked.

Back