• Register Today It's free!

Motorcraft oil shout out

sweetbeats

Reaction score
City, State
Stayton, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I do not want this to turn into yet another oil debate…just want to share my experience…

2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6L V8, 173,000 miles on the odometer, original trans and engine…it’s had regular oil changes, but at least the last one was done at a quick-lube place, they used Valvoline oil, probably a synth blend…5-20W…anyway, since we’ve owned it (we’re about 5,000 miles into it), the engine has always sounded a little clatterey or rattley. Hard to explain. I was worried it was cam chain issues but the noise wasn’t audible from the front, and I couldn’t really even hear it at the top of the motor. I could only really hear it in the cabin and particularly under load. I assumed it was just normal although my ‘01 Mustang doesn’t sound like that…although the supercharger and performance exhaust might drown it out. So I just assumed it was normal noise or maybe normal for a motor that’s getting long in the tooth. Changed my oil yesterday and filter. I always get the Motorcraft filters. By the way it was literally double the size of the Valvoline filter the quick lube place installed. Geez. Well, I used Motorcraft full synthetic 5-20W…clatterey noise gone…totally gone. I suspect it was valve train. Throttle response significantly improved. And don’t get me wrong, the Explorer has plenty of get-up-and-go but this was like “woah”, big difference. I bet we’ll pick up another 1-2 mpg average which EASILY pays for the cost difference on the more expensive oil. Just wanted to share my experience. This is the oil I put in:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...suv-2003-ford-explorer?q=Motorcraft+oil&pos=3

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it made that much difference they didn’t use the right oil.

thanks for the thoughts! always nice to hear what other people are running and like! out of curiosity, what was the PN for the valvoline filter? just wanna know what to stay away from ;) not knocking your review any, but im wondering if the clattering is in any way correlated with the smaller filter because reduced pressure... just wondering!

thanks for the thoughts! always nice to hear what other people are running and like! out of curiosity, what was the PN for the valvoline filter? just wanna know what to stay away from ;) not knocking your review any, but im wondering if the clattering is in any way correlated with the smaller filter because reduced pressure... just wondering!
Looks like it was this one:

Valvoline Part Lookup

[EDIT] looks like I can’t copy a link to the actual part…the link references the parts finder. The filter part number is VO-88.

ill take a peek at it later, thanks!!!!! i would assume a smaller filter would restrict oil flow thus lowering pressure, which could explain the clattering... just how much smaller was it? 1/2?

I thought the same thing.

ill take a peek at it later, thanks!!!!! i would assume a smaller filter would restrict oil flow thus lowering pressure, which could explain the clattering... just how much smaller was it? 1/2?
This is Motorcraft filter I used:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ive-suv-2003-ford-explorer?q=Oil+filter&pos=0

According to the dimensions on the web for the Motorcraft and Valvoline filters, the Motorcraft filter is 51.6 cubic inches in volume, and the Valvoline VO-88 is 21.4 cubic inches; roughly 2/5 the size. I crawled under there last night for the oil and filter change, and when my eyes landed on the oil filter I literally said out loud “seriously?”The Valvoline filter is literally smaller than the stock filter for the Briggs & Stratton motor in a riding mower I used to have. C’mon Valvoline…really?!

Another reminder to JGTMP (just get the Motorcraft part).

So then if it was clattering at low engine speed, I can only imagine the bypass valve was opening at higher speeds and not filtering. Pisses me off.

It’s common for quick oil change places to use “universal” filters too keep their inventory down.

Another reason I won’t use them. Unless the filter is faulty, a smaller filter won’t reduce pressure. There’s a bypass valve inside the filter that opens under too much pressure, and just lets the oil through unfiltered.

yeah given the size reduction, i would assume pressure dropped and the bypass valve was probably open to keep some oil flow... thru... so most of it probably wasnt filtered too well... but anyways, a decent amount of the wear particles stay suspended int he oil (imo)... either way :thmbsdwn: :angryfire::banghead:

It’s common for quick oil change places to use “universal” filters too keep their inventory down.

Another reason I won’t use them. Unless the filter is faulty, a smaller filter won’t reduce pressure. There’s a bypass valve inside the filter that opens under too much pressure, and just lets the oil through unfiltered.
Right, but that in and of itself is a problem. And it all depends on what pressure that valve opens…application dependent. Anyway, whether it’s the crappy filter or inferior oil, or both, the Explorer is singing a new tune now, and hopefully it’s not suffered too much damage. It even runs smoother at idle now. Likely tighter valve lash tolerances.

I still think it was more likely a heavier weight oil.

wouldnt a heavier weight oil increase the film strength around clattering components like valvetrain? (assuming its thin enough to each there) also wouldnt a smaller filter restrict peak flow, thus reducing pressure mbrooks? correct me if im wrong though, i might be! ;)

wouldnt a heavier weight oil increase the film strength around clattering components like valvetrain? (assuming its thin enough to each there) also wouldnt a smaller filter restrict peak flow, thus reducing pressure mbrooks? correct me if im wrong though, i might be! ;)
If the pressure went up the valve should just open. I’m just not buying a 10% increase in mileage from a same weight oil change.

More restriction would actually raise pressure, but reduce volume.

huh alright! so its like in the carb! shouldve thought of that :banghead:

Never trust or use those quick lube places.
Foolishly used one with my '91 Tempo for a tranny flush, and the transmission started occasionally slipping from that point on.
Learned my lesson, that's for sure.

Never trust or use those quick lube places.
Foolishly used one with my '91 Tempo for a tranny flush, and the transmission started occasionally slipping from that point on.
Learned my lesson, that's for sure.
In 3 and a half decades of driving and owning cars I’ve never taken any vehicle to one of those places. And I never will. My mistake here is not changing the oil and filter right after we purchased the vehicle.

If the pressure went up the valve should just open. I’m just not buying a 10% increase in mileage from a same weight oil change.
Years ago I read a study someone did about switching from conventional synthetic oil, 1 hp gain and 4% increase on the mpg.

then given that maybe a combo of improper weight and filter choice? dunno... or could be the placebo (?) effect ;) the butt dyno can be decieving at times

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The quick lube place may overfill, under fill, use wrong oil weight, use wrong oil Filter, or never changed the oil. I learned really quick to stay away from these shops.

Back