Mounting Under Dash 2 Way Radio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting Under Dash 2 Way Radio

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I need to mount a two way radio in my XLT. I searched the HAM and CB threads here but nothing really matched what I need. The radio I am using does not have a remote controller or detachable head, it's an old school one piece Motorola.

I am thinking under the dash to the right of the steering column. I have test fitted it there and it does not seem to block anything.

My questions are:
1. Is there anything behind the panel on the right side that would get in the way? Just the head of a bolt and a large diameter washer will be use to attach the bracket.
2. Just the two bolts (see pic) hold the panel in from what I can see. Once the bolts are removed does the panel drop away easily?
3. Any reason why mounting the radio in the location as shown would cause a problem?

First photo = intended mounting location, below and to the right of steering wheel
Second photo = panel as seen below steering wheel needing to be removed
Third photo = Mounting bracket, one of two, that holds panel in place

The wiring and antenna cabling will be handled by a shop.

THANK YOU for any input.

IMG_20210918_183636926.jpg

IMG_20210918_183354520.jpg

IMG_20210918_183200585.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The last time I installed one of my Ham radios was in my former Highlander and I mounted it standing up on end against the front of the driver's seat. I added a small wooden block to the bottom to keep it off the floor and used zip ties to keep the radio in place.
Have to checked to see if you could mount it against the side of the console?

Peter

Ham_20.jpg

The last time I installed one of my Ham radios was in my former Highlander and I mounted it standing up on end against the front of the driver's seat. I added a small wooden block to the bottom to keep it off the floor and used zip ties to keep the radio in place.
Have to checked to see if you could mount it against the side of the console?

Peter

View attachment 342649

I did consider a side of the console mount. I did that with my Explorer Sport Trac and it worked pretty well. I don't know how to access the inside of the console on the XLT to bolt the bracket in.

Right now my dilemma is that I have removed the two bolts that hold the lower, under steering wheel panel in but it is not coming out easily. I don't want to pull in the wrong spot or force anything. I am hoping I can find some info on how to pull the panel out now that the bolts are out.

IMG_20210918_183354520.jpg

I did consider a side of the console mount. I did that with my Explorer Sport Trac and it worked pretty well. I don't know how to access the inside of the console on the XLT to bolt the bracket in.

Have you considered velcro instead of bolts?

Have you considered velcro instead of bolts?
I have. I used it on my Sport Trac when I had it on the side of the console. I used that industrial strength "Quake Grip" type velcro but this radio is heavier than my old one and I am concerned about it coming loose on rough roads, etc. If I can't hard mount it under the dash I will try the tunnel mount as Plan B.

I'm hoping there are just a couple of clips holding the top of this piece on to the framework under the dash.

DashPanel.jpg

OK, I ordered a nice and inexpensive set of non-marring auto trim and panel tools from Amazon. They worked great. I worked the panel tool around the edge and popped all the fasteners with NO damage or marks. Photo shows the underside of the panel, green "c;lips" are the fasteners and you can see the blue trim/panel tools. With the right tools, EZ Peasy and no marks.

I marked and drilled 4 holes and attached the mounting bracket, it bolted up solidly and I used fender washers where I could on the underside of the panel to distribute the weight and stress.

Reinstalled panel, attached the radio. Lots of room, no interference, solid and stable mount.

Next, a trip to the radio shop to have a pro drill a hole in my roof, route the antenna cable, connect power and ground, then tune the antenna/radio.

IMG_20210920_163118906.jpg

IMG_20210920_163338073.jpg

IMG_20210920_174132179.jpg

IMG_20210920_174347177.jpg

Although it looks as if the radio might get in the way, no leg contact or interference at all. Lots of clearance.

IMG_20210920_174143067.jpg

Looks good! That is the same spot I have my trailer brake controller at. I never hit my leg on it.

OK, I ordered a nice and inexpensive set of non-marring auto trim and panel tools from Amazon. They worked great. I worked the panel tool around the edge and popped all the fasteners with NO damage or marks. Photo shows the underside of the panel, green "c;lips" are the fasteners and you can see the blue trim/panel tools. With the right tools, EZ Peasy and no marks...

View attachment 342684
Nice! I'm ordering a similar set now because I'm going to be doing some equipment installation on my '17 Sport.

Back