MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright im about to do the same thing u did i have a 93 2wd..... my friend works at a tow place and has a few explorers that they are junking and has offered to get me free parts...

Do u have a complete parts list of everything ill need to do this convertion and how hard is it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alright im about to do the same thing u did i have a 93 2wd..... my friend works at a tow place and has a few explorers that they are junking and has offered to get me free parts...

Do u have a complete parts list of everything ill need to do this convertion and how hard is it

page 1 of this thread has his parts list. as far as difficulty, it is not that difficult, just time consuming, and you will want a buddy to help.

Already i have put in about 75+ hours of work into just the front end and transmission. I expect it to peak at about 85 when I install the new rear end. I will note that this was all with hand tools, no power tools.

Already i have put in about 75+ hours of work into just the front end and transmission. I expect it to peak at about 85 when I install the new rear end. I will note that this was all with hand tools, no power tools.
you get one with good brakes and have a sizable breaker bar to get the u bolt nuts loose, you should be able to knock that out in less than 4 hours. I did mine in about 2.5, with air tools.

i have friends with air tools...im getting the transfer case for 100 buck... and now they sent the axle to the scrap yard....gayness...would i be better off just leaving it with 2wd and putting lockers in and lifting it my trans is mint and so is pretty much everything else

heres a picture

Attachments

• 31265_560217549347_196604078_32548352_2366560_n.jpg
    31265_560217549347_196604078_32548352_2366560_n.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 250

oh and if i wanted to do a solid axle up front wat axle should i see if my friend has

dana 44 out of a ford or full size jeep pickup/wagoneer, or a dana 50 or 60 out of a f-250 or f-350. The 44 is most commonly chosen, and if you get one out of a 78? or later ford, you have a high pinion axle. My advice is to see what he has and then post a question asking what others think about each type he has. Would avoid the jeep dana 30, since you gain nothing strength wise from it. Anyway, use the search function to see what others have done, you get a good idea then. (sorry about cluttering your thread here MrQ)

ya me too man keep at it next time i drive through TX we should rip **** up

Back