MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well both axles are in and all reassembled. I went ahead and pulled off the hubs while I was changing out the lock nuts to manuals and repacked the bearings with fresh grease. They definitely needed it. May have to do with them sitting out for a year collecting dust. :D Just for kicks I tried the 4x2 tie rod ends and whaddya know? They work!! Also since the 4x4 pivot bracket sits on the back and closer to the center of the engine bracket than the 4x2 I had to do a quick and dirty alignment on the steering rack. It should last for about a week till I can get a true alignment.

Right now all I am waiting on to finish up this project is a can of brake cleaner to clean the rotors so I can put the calipers back on and then the wheels.

I sure hope I did everything right...

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

PHASE 1: Complete [1/30/10]
4x4 axle, front suspension, and manual hubs.

PHASE 2: Complete [5/22/10]
Transmission and transfer case.

PHASE 3: Complete [8/10]
Rear axle matching front gears.

PHASE 4: Incomplete
Odds and Ends

PHASE 1: Complete [1/30/10]
4x4 axle, front suspension, and manual hubs.

Good to hear the news. My computer was the victim of a massive power surge, so I have not been on here in about 3 days. However, I will say:
:ttiwwp:

(Always wanted to use that one, just never had a chance)

So? What happened?!? I assume the truck is back on the road again?

Yeah it's on the road, but I am chasing down a metal on metal sound coming from the right wheel. I replaced one of the wheel bearings and it cut the sound in half. I am going to try and replace the other as well. It seems to get worse when driving straight and to the left, but completely goes away when turning to the right. :shrug:

if is does it with your hubs engaged then that noise would be your u joint half shafts.

It's not the half shafts. I wouldn't have the hubs locked anyway, they wear out the front end parts faster.

I believe so.

Have you run around with the hubs engaged yet? If you have and there is no additional sounds and vibrations, then we can rule out any of the drive components.

I just finished pulling off the both sides of the front end down to the spindles, checking for wheel bearing play, scratches, and roughness. Nothing. Checked the steering knuckles, tie rods and ends, u-joints, hubs, tires, brakes and calipers. Still nothing!! :splat:

I have no idea what the issue is. I guess I am just going to have to deal with it. :sigh:

You do know that it is very easy to over tighten that big nut that keeps the hub on the bearings right? I do know that thoes big nuts need only be a bit more than finger tight, just tight enough so that there is no play in the wheel.

Would it be very hard to post a video of the sound while driving?

Check your brake shields. Since you had that stuff sitting on the ground, one of them may have gotten bent, making it rub against the back of the rotor.

Those things went bye-bye when I put the new suspension in. They were beyond mangled.

I think that an alignment and a new rotor would fix the problem. Ideas?

You have mentioned nothing about ball joints. I'm guessing you probably left the old ones in?

Giving the history of them are questionable, they might be a bit loose giving you a little front end play. Often any play in the ball joints is difficult to detect by initially testing them.

Definitely not ruling that out, but it seems unlikely. They appear to be in good condition. Also I should have had some slack from moving the tire around on the stand if they were.

Good to hear the news. My computer was the victim of a massive power surge, so I have not been on here in about 3 days. However, I will say:
:ttiwwp:

(Always wanted to use that one, just never had a chance)

So what every happened to pictures? You just make all this up or did it really happen?:confused:

a good thread needs pictures!

So what every happened to pictures? You just make all this up or did it really happen?:confused:

a good thread needs pictures!

Thanks for the backup, I figured he was just ignoring me :p:

Anyway, I would be hesitant to get an alignment untill I found the problem. If it turns out to be a balljoint or TRE it would mean you have to pay for it twice. Can we get a description of this sound? I know it only happens when you have the wheel pointed in certain directions, but is a screech, squeek, clank, clunk, chirp, squeel, bang, thunk, grind, groan, or otherwise? Maybe a tire rub? Check your RA for rub marks. Lockouts clearing the bearing locknuts properly?

I haven't forgotten about you guys. I just need to borrow my bro's camera to get the pics. My phone in my camera is pretty sad...:(

Okay, it's late and there are not many of them, but here are the pics you have been waiting for:

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

Like I said she still needs a front end alignment, so don't judge me too harshly on the weird camber.

Back