MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny

MrQ's 4x2 to 4x4 Conversion w/ Auto tranny PICS

Ok, I have finally decided to make the jump and do the conversion. I found a parts vehicle at the local pick-a-part and have ran the numbers.

The parts vehicle is a auto 4x4 with coil overs and a SOA already done with 3.73 limited slip rear. Apparently it was originally owned by some suspension company.

This is how the parts and numbers are running:

Parts needed for conversion to a 3.73 4x4

-Front drive shaft -$25

-4x4 rear drive shaft - $25

-T-case skid plates - ?

-4x4 speedometer cable - ?

-Rear Axle matching front gears - $200

--Complete front axle assembly- $200

--4x4 brake rotors

--4x4 steering linkages

--4x4 radius arms

--Manual Hubs - $50

--Coils

--Transfer case - $170

--A4LD Transmission Extension - $25

-Manual Shift Linkage for TC - ??

--Replace w/ 4x4 A4LD
- $75

I am estimating about $900 to do it...one step at a time. I will be pulling the front differential and coils next week. :D

If you have any advice I would more than appreciate it. Also if you have any of these parts for sale here and cheaper I would appreciate a heads up ;)

Total Spent So Far = $445

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay, it's late and there are not many of them, but here are the pics you have been waiting for. Like I said she still needs a front end alignment, so don't judge me too harshly on the weird camber.

Hmm, I now see why the TRE's are different. The 4x4 steering linkage does not have the bends indicated by my yellow boxes, they are straight.
untitled.jpg

Dunno if that will be a problem, but it is definitely different.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

You have the 2wd steering in the truck still???

Umm, yeah?

I do have the steering rack for the 4wd. I just haven't put it on. It took me 5 days of work 8-12 hours a day, by myself, to get everything swapped out. I had to do it all with hand tools. The next day after I had to have it for work.

Now, I have to replace a fender, realign a door, get new tires, replace two wheel bearings and possibly get a new rim. Replacing a steering rack is way way down on my list of priorities. So far I have had no problems with the 2wd. When I get some spare time and some new 4x4 TRE's I'll look into putting it on.

I do have the steering rack for the 4wd. I just haven't put it on. It took me 5 days of work 8-12 hours a day, by myself, to get everything swapped out. I had to do it all with hand tools. The next day after I had to have it for work.

Now, I have to replace a fender, realign a door, get new tires, replace two wheel bearings and possibly get a new rim. Replacing a steering rack is way way down on my list of priorities. So far I have had no problems with the 2wd. When I get some spare time and some new 4x4 TRE's I'll look into putting it on.

It's not a rack, just the tie rods. With the 2wd tie rods, you may run into some weird steering behavior if you hit a bump. The steering box is identical, so no worries there.

What did you hit?

Ok, this thread is officially back in business. I finally scraped enough cash together to pick up a Master Super Kit for the tranny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=260022941816

I have four days off and am hoping the kit gets here soon. I also need to order:

Governor
Bell housing bolts
External tranny filter
Temperature gauge

I also need to pick up another transmission cooler from the junkyard. I am building this tranny to LAST.

Wish I was there to help, don't forget the torque converter! You will also be sure to change out the vacuum modulator if the kit doesn't already come with one.

Remember to install the filter after the cooler since you are getting it used, the cooler may be coming from a blown tranny, lodging bits in there that don't always come out when flushed at first. Even high mileage working trannies can still lodge stuff in the coolers that don't come out at first.

The tranny is back together except for the oil pan. I need to install a temp sensor and a drain plug in it before I put it back on.

Fortunately, I did not have to get a new governor. I just rebuilt the old one with new parts. I also need to get some de-greaser and clean the case off. It'll make it easier to put back in.

I also have got another linkage line up and hopefully can get it next paycheck. :D

Man I haven't posted in a while. To update...

My friend came down from Denton to help me throw in the tranny. Its been two days since we started and we have gotten the my rebuilt 4x4 tranny in. Unfortunately we ran out of time tonight to put the transfer case and rear drive shaft back on.

Pics for your viewing pleasure:

Jury-rigged tranny jack. And yes that is a coffee can.
IMG_0009-1.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

My friend Mike (Hitchhikingmike) Too bad his white shirt didn't stay that way...
IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Here is the coffee can tranny jack in operation. It actually worked quite well.
IMG_0017.jpg

:thumbsup:

The coffee can on top the wooden board is actually secured to the jack by a big pin through the can to the jack, and with a cotter pin. It's not balanced on the jack as it appears in the photo, the transmission can stand on its own on the jack.

You know its weird...

I seem to have a working 4x4 tranny in my truck. I wonder how it got there??

Sweet.. Glad to hear another Texas 4x4 conversion.

I am still missing the 4x4 VSS cable and then I will be able to get my overdrive to work. But it runs!!

I am still missing the 4x4 VSS cable and then I will be able to get my overdrive to work. But it runs!!

Does that mean your speedo isn't working either, or is that a seperate sensor?

first gens use a cable for the speedo, and a VSS for the transmission functions. The VSS is driven off the speedo gear in the transfer case.

So if I understand correctly, the speedo cable basically plugs into the VSS, which is then plugged into the transmission or transfer case, and driven form the speed gear?

I take it the vss is also used for crusie control functions as well?

When converting from 2wd to 4wd, what changes are required as far as the speedo cable and vss go? I know they are changing location form the transmission tailshaft housing, to the transfer case, but are they still same part, or do you need a 4wd version of the vss and a 4wd (perhaps longer) version of your speed cable and vss wiring?

The VSS thingy that goes into the transfer case is the same one that goes into the 2wd manual trans. Even the driven gear is the same. I've never seen the VSS for a 2wd auto so I can't tell you if its the exact same one.

The description above was correct though.. IIRC, the speedo cable comes from the speedo head down "through" the vss and the driven gear goes on the end of the VSS. Its a single clip holding the driven gear onto the speedo cable core and a single clip holding the VSS onto the speedo cable sleeve.

I have a VSS pulled from a 4x4 sitting in the shed at the house.. (looks like the person I pulled it for doesn't need that part, not the right part for them).

edit: forgot to answer one of the questions.. Yes, the VSS is used for the cruise control.

~Mark

If you still have the cable I need that, Maniak. I just needed the speedo gear right away (which I grabbed from a local jy for the highway robbery price of $10) so I could get my OD working.

These guys are right. Your current sensor will work but you do need to have the longer 4x4 speedo cable and a manual transmission speedo gear. The gear is shorter to fit inside the smaller housing of the transfer case.

Back