MTX amp troubles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MTX amp troubles

mechanic021

Reaction score
I have a mtx thunder amp that i just bought maybe 2 months ago if that and its starting to shut on and off on me when i turn the bass up loud. When it turns off the short circuit light will flash on really dim once in awhile so I looked at all my wiring and couldnt find a problem. I also checked all my connections and checked the sub woofer out really good and couldnt find anything that would cause a short. Is there anything else I can check before I have to send the amp in for service? I dunno if this will help or not but the sub itself is like 5 years old so could it be shorting out internally where i cant see it? thanks for your time. Forgot to mention when the bass is on low volume it works fine it only cuts out when its turned up high.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like the amp to sub wiring is messed up. Check the wiring to the sub and make sure its not playing in an ohm load not made for the amp. Also check the ground wire and make sure it is tight to the chasis.

sounds like a wiring issue. ohm load the amp is clipping.

I bought it from a local retail store. How do I go about checking the ohm load and things? The amp worked fine for the first couple weeks and now that i started playing it loud it started acting up.

my mtx is doing the same, it was running very hot as well, and now i get nothing at all from my sub

honestly sounds like you both are running the amps at too low an ohm load.

please let me know what subs you are using (and the resistance) and if you are wired in series or parellel etc.

im just using one old ass pioneer 400 watt sub i will have to dig out the paper work for it to find the ohm load. I do know that amp is a mono amp if that matters at all.

yeah, most subs do say right on the vc what ohm they are? but you need to let us know.

Back