• Register Today It's free!

MTX sub kit...Worth the money???

puffenbarker

Reaction score
City, State
North Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
On ebay you can pick up the MTX sub kit for the Explorer for a little over $200.00. The kit comes with the 4500 series speaker. I am wondering if this is a decent setup or garbage. I have been running a couple of Kicker comp vr 10's in the back of my A4 so I know what constitutes for good bass. I am not expecting anywhere near this performance, but don't want a rattle box. I am selling the box and comp vr setup cheap as they aren't going to fit in my new ride if anyone is interested. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is this the stealth box that replaces the pocket in the rear passeger side? if so my friend had one, it made the interior molding rattle a bit but cut squares of adhesive felt about 1in by 1in and insert them where needed to stop the rattle.
the sub is mid level(ish) and you will get ok sound depending on the HU your running. and the volume you run it at.

edit: just looked at MTX.com and the sub is worth 79.99msrp so if you dont wish to make your own box. the deal isnt too bad...

does it come with an amp(powered box) or un powered?

It is the un powered set up. I am going to run out of my sub out port on my HU and have a kenwood mono amp i will use to drive it.

which kenwood? how many watts?

I say its definetely worth it. I have an un-powered thunderform powered by a 220w MTX amp and it sounds perfect. Takes up no space in the back and hits more then hard enough for my tastes. I did put down alot of dynamat when I installed it and theres no ratttling or anything. Just nice deep loud thump's and vibrating people in the back seat. :p

I say go for it!

The Kenwood puts out 500 peak at 4 ohms so power won't be a problem. Thanks for the input guys. now the next hurdle is getting the plastic plugs out of the side panel without ripping the heads off of them.

you do know that the sub is on ly rated at 225 max watts? (i know its a dumb question, i just hate to see people blow subs so keep the gain down)
hope i helped PM me if you have any questions.

I should have plenty of head room allowing for clean power to the sub. Thanks :)

LiKuiD said:
I say its definetely worth it. I have an un-powered thunderform powered by a 220w MTX amp and it sounds perfect. Takes up no space in the back and hits more then hard enough for my tastes. I did put down alot of dynamat when I installed it and theres no ratttling or anything. Just nice deep loud thump's and vibrating people in the back seat. :p

I say go for it!

I have the thunderform and these are my thoughts exactly.

LiKuiD said:

I say go for it!

Me too. I have the powered version, which I think is good enough. Did overpay though :mad: I was young and stupid, what can I say? :p

Back