• Register Today It's free!

MTX Thunderform

Concept156

Reaction score
City, State
Golden, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Limited
Has anyone heard of these MTX Thunderforms? Basically they say that it is a 10" Thunder 6000 sub that fits into the rear passenger side compartent behind the wheel well. I have been wondering if anyone knows if I have a factory sub back there already, do I need to get this one amplified separately, or will it run on the factory amp? Also, how much do these things cost, and where can I get one? Thanks for your time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thunderstorm

Not sure of the name, but I just received an Xplorer Xpress catalog that listed a stereo system that included a speaker setup that fits into the rear cargo area behind the wheel well (where the cargo net is)...Is that what you are talking about? Can't remember the price right now, but I can look in the catalog. They will send you one free off the website.

Yes, I have one in my Navajo. If you have the storage pocket back there then No you do not have a factory sub. If you have a grill there, yes you do. No the MTX sub will not recieve enough power from the fatory amp. I would get a 200 to 400 watt sub to drive it. You will have to remove that entire panel to get to it.

Grille

So what is the grill in the lift gate for? I have a handle on the inside of my lift gate and what LOOKS like a speaker under it, but no sound comes out of it...

Thanks, a lot. Does it sound pretty decent?

Originally posted by Skippman
I would get a 200 to 400 watt sub to drive it. You will have to remove that entire panel to get to it.
Be careful about this..The woofer that the Thunderform comes with is only rated for 100 watts RMS, unless you pick a bigger one. You can get the Thunderform encloser w/the speaker and a 100w rms amp built into the box at http://www.crutchfield.com . There is a better deal out there! Try http://www.sounddomain.com . You can get the q-form enclosure, pick your own sub and amp for less money than the Thunderform. I'm going to get the 10" q-form(219.95)(it's the same as the Thunderform enclosure), a Boss 10" 250w rms sub(59.95) and the Boss 240w rms amp9109.95), I don't remember the total for the Thunderform, but it's more than the set-up I'm getting!

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 09-15-2000 at 10:05 AM]

I have 200 watts running to mine, and it's just fine. Could have sworn they were rated higher than that. I'm replacing the MTX sub with my new Diamond Mac Daddy 10". It sounds good now, but it will sound great later.

Originally posted by Skippman
I have 200 watts running to mine, and it's just fine. Could have sworn they were rated higher than that. I'm replacing the MTX sub with my new Diamond Mac Daddy 10". It sounds good now, but it will sound great later.
My bad Skipp!!!! It's the amp that it can come with that is 100watts rms, the 6000 is rated for 50-250 watts rms! So, you're right, I'm wrong, I can admit! (see ilikedellcomputers...I don't always win!)

No biggie. Anyone know what kinda amp I should use to power the Mac-Daddy?

Back