Muffler Too Loud.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Too Loud....

Upon install of resonator, my exhaust tone mellowed a bit outside, but made a world of difference inside. As before, any good muffler shop will help you out. Try and find a resonator with the same internal diameter as your pipes so it's not restrictive. It's a pretty tight fit to get a resonator in there, but a good muffler shop will make it happen. I was very impressed with the work that was done on my old Sport.

EDIT: If there was any performance degradation with the install of my resonator, then it was marginal and not noticeable in the slightest. The only thing I noticed was a quieter cab. My wife picked up on it right away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aldive said:
If you are wanting the max power and mileage from the exhaust, the addition of a resonator will not be helpful.

I don't agree. The resonator I had installed looked like a regular exhaust pipe for the most part inside. It's just had some patterns cut into the pipe to "tune" the sound of the exhaust. Very little restriction so I can't see how it would hurt performance that much. The guy that did the install (who is one of the most respected installers in the city and does a lot of work on racecars) concurred.

Nice!!!!

Went back to the shop that installed my system and asked for a resonator, the guy opted to install a different muffler. This time he used a muffler called SS409, dual in single out glass pack.

Seemed to give the truck a bit more power and more of a mellow sound but that damn drone is still there in the 2400-3000rpm range. I don't think V6's where ment to have performance exhausts. They only sound good on V8's. I am searching for that deep sound.

At the present time my Sport V6 Sohc sounds like the Chevy and Pontiac 2.8's and 3.1's of the late 80's early 90's Camaroes, Firebirds, Eurosports. A loud, tinny droneing at cruising speeds. The muffler has potential but the droning is ever present. I want something mellow, not obnoxious like those riced out Civics and Corrolla's with the huge Coffee can, weed wacker mufflers.

Next step is to find a person who sells and installs resonators.

Is the dual in muffler factory? I'm doing my exhaust in the next couple of weeks, and thought it was a single in/single out.... I'm also going with the flowmaster 50 series, and was going to purchase the 2.25 in 2.5 out version...

Lazzman said:
Next step is to find a person who sells and installs resonators.

Dude. Shoulda scored a resonator from the start. The Flowie is (was in your case) a great muffler. I stuck with it for quite a while and it wasn't that bad. It was when we had our son in October 2004 that I decided to tone it down a bit in the cab. It sounded superb with the resonator.

thetad45 said:
Is the dual in muffler factory? I'm doing my exhaust in the next couple of weeks, and thought it was a single in/single out.... I'm also going with the flowmaster 50 series, and was going to purchase the 2.25 in 2.5 out version...

You've got a OHV. He's SOHC. SOHC is dual in. OHV is single. Flowmaster has applications for both in the 50 Series (dual in in the SUV Performance line).

Believe me I wanted a resonator but the shop guy opted to switch mufflers.

Now I have two choices:

1. Go with the Flowmaster 70 Series as Aldive suggested- Though this is my last shot with the muffler shop.
The cost is free, but will it be what I want?

2. Get a resonator, which hopefully will fix the problem. It
will cost a few bucks but would be worth it. My muffer
is about 19" on a Sport so fitting the resonator in would
be somewhat of a trick.

I want this problem fixed once and for all. Unlike you Celly the drone is driving me nuts.

The OEM resonator is basically just a wide spot in the pipe. On my Sport, it's in the section that runs from the axle down to the elbow.... looks to be about a 2 3/4 or 3" OD roughly. The length is what's important though.

-Joe

In my opinion, its a no brainier; go with the flow, the Flow 70 that is.

We have one with a dual exhaust on my son's new Titan and with that V* it really sounds great with no annoying interior noise.

a Titan with a V-8 is not even in the same league as an Explorer with a V6. The sound and performance will be totally different. Can't compare apples to oranges when it comes to exhaust. What sounds sweet on one motor can sound like arse on another.

-Joe

Lazz, if you get one more kick at the muffler can, I'd go with the 70 Series. From what I've read in numerous sources (and well before Aldive scored his muffler which was fairly recent), the 70 Series is as close to OEM as you'll get. I considered it as well at one point but it was hard to source here so I went with the 50 SUV. Al went through the muffler buying ritual last year and he wanted a quiet one as well. I'd go that route now if I were you.

Keep in mind, the 4 door Explorers have different acoustics than the 2 door. Al has a 4 door. There are lots of people with 50 Series SUV mufflers on 4 doors that report no drone whatsoever. Many of the complaints seem to come from 2 door owners. The 70 Series may sound different on your Ex.

My resonator was actually tucked in very close to the end of the tail pipe just before my tip. Size of the muffler didn't affect the install. I got it done by a very creative and well respected muffler guy here in town. It was tricky, but anything is doable with these really good exhaust guys.

Good luck. I know it's a PITA dealing with the drone!

gijoecam said:
a Titan with a V-8 is not even in the same league as an Explorer with a V6. The sound and performance will be totally different. Can't compare apples to oranges when it comes to exhaust. What sounds sweet on one motor can sound like arse on another.

-Joe

Don't be so quick to criticize; had you followed my postings and read my signature, you would have seen that I have a Flow 70 on my Explorer with the SOHC motor..

I mentioned the Titan to point out the lack of interior noise.

Noise, whether inside or out, has a lot to do with the listener.

Young guys like loud music and loud trucks; I don't.

Good luck with your Delmar.

gijoecam said:

-Joe

Agreed. I hear over and over again how great Magnaflows sound on V8s and OHV V6s. I hated Magnaflow on my SOHC. Big time drone at certain revs and headaches on long road trips.

aldive said:
Noise, whether inside or out, has a lot to do with the listener.

Young guys like loud music and loud trucks; I don't.

Good luck with your Delmar.

I'm sort of a hybrid. I don't like loud trucks and do like loud music. Does that make me middle aged? :D

celly said:
I'm sort of a hybrid. I don't like loud trucks and do like loud music. Does that make me middle aged? :D

No, my friend, it means you have been in the frozen Northland way too long. :)

aldive said:
No, my friend, it means you have been in the frozen Northland way too long. :)

No way. I've always liked my tunes cranked. I'm actually amazed I still have my hearing. About the only time I ever overdid it was way back in my late teens I went to a Ted Nugent concert. Ears rang for days after. A few years back I scored tickets to see Ben Harper here in town (he's hardly what you'd call loud). Front row! Problem was, front row meant right beside one of the band's subwoofer. I watched the first part of the concert with finger in one ear (sub was off to my right). The bassplayer in Ben's band saw the struggle and handed me some ear plugs. Much better. :)

Re: living in the north, you forget that I lived in Bermuda for almost 4 years. I never saw temps dip below 55F in all my years there. I got bored of it. I also hate mold and mildew from living in a humid place. I was reminded about it when I was in Mexico recently. I actually like having winter now. The cold air is refreshing and dressing for winter is all it takes. My wife got me into XC skiing several years back as well which is a great way to spend a winter's day. I actually used to hate winter until I didn't have it for few years. Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc...

I do miss SCUBA though. I've done only one dive since I moved back in 1997. That was during a visit back to the island a few years back.

Sorry for the hijack, Lazz. :D

aldive said:
Don't be so quick to criticize; had you followed my postings and read my signature, you would have seen that I have a Flow 70 on my Explorer with the SOHC motor..

I mentioned the Titan to point out the lack of interior noise.

Who's criticizing? Excuse me for not knowing what type of muffler everyone has equipped his or her truck with. :rolleyes: Yes, I realize you posted it a week ago, but do you re-read an entire thread every time you check the updates? I don't.

It's good to know that a Flow70 doesn't drone on a V-8 Titan. How that's relevant to a discussion on a SOHC Explorer is beyond me, but I'll certainly keep that in mind for the next time someone asks what the best exhaust is for a Titan.

Additionally, exhaust sound and performance is not a function of the muffler alone. The exhaust is originally engineered as a SYSTEM for a reason. The exhaust on a 4-door is not exactly the same as that on a Sport. What sounds great on a 4-door won't necessarily sound good on a sport thanks to the slightly different plumbing. Again, not quite apples to apples....

OK, maybe since they're both Explorers it IS apples to apples, but now we're talking Granny Smith's to Macintoshes.... :confused:

-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well there is no room for an aftermarket Rez. Not enough pipe, too many bends and the muffler is like 18" long.

Looks like the 70 series is the one. I did not know the X came stock with a resonator.

I am a performance guy, its in my blood but a resonant muffler is not performance, a Borla or Magnaflow V8 mustang is. A huge pick-up drove by me while I was in a parking lot yesterday, two huge 3" tips out the back and it was relatively quite just a deep V8 rumble.

I like the sound of performance but I hate the sound of Rice.... Which is sort of what my X has now.

Back