Muffler Too Loud.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Muffler Too Loud....

I figure I have one more shot at it with this muffler guy before he tells me to screw. So I really hope the 70 is the right choice.

I loved the sound of the Flow 50 at idle and it was inaudible above 3000rpm, sounded good going to 2k as well. The Dual in single out Drone between 2200 and 3000 rpm drove me batty and made me feel like a pimply faced boy racer in rice.

The SS 409 is a glass pack 2 into 1 configuration that is a slight bit quieter and seemed to lend better low end torque. Although I think the resonance is worse between 2300 and 3100 rpm (my cruising speeds on the highway) very irritating. Had my 12 year old daughter in the rig yesterday and asked her what she thought, she said it was kinda loud.

People look perplexed sometimes because of the goofy rice resonance.

I have a number of ways to proceed simplest of which is to do the above muffler. Could also go with the dual in dual out muffler, dual muffler set up or some other configuration.

Celly I like your suggestion about the resonator but I can't fit it. I am going to trust Al Franklin because he seems pretty well informed, also you like the idea to Celly.

No More Rice Muffler.

To quote Burt Reynolds in Boogie Nights "I don't want loud, I want mellow."

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lazzman said:
Well there is no room for an aftermarket Rez. Not enough pipe, too many bends and the muffler is like 18" long.

Looks like the 70 series is the one. I did not know the X came stock with a resonator.

I am a performance guy, its in my blood but a resonant muffler is not performance, a Borla or Magnaflow V8 mustang is. A huge pick-up drove by me while I was in a parking lot yesterday, two huge 3" tips out the back and it was relatively quite just a deep V8 rumble.

I like the sound of performance but I hate the sound of Rice.... Which is sort of what my X has now.

You need to do what I did and trade in on a V8 equipped Ex. No rice! :D

I tell ya, the guy that did my resonator had the same challenges and made it happen. Too bad I didn't have photos. He did a masterful job of making it work. It was in a place you might not expect it. As mentioned, right near the tip he stuffed it in right near the end of the pipe. He even used a longer resonator than he wanted to but he was able to do it.

Good luck with the 70.

Damn, I would love me one of those new 296hp Explorers but alas I no longer have $40k lying around. Besides I like the 2 door rigs better. Why did they stop making them...

Al did you here that Edelbrock just came out with a new muffler that promises high horsepower and guarantees no cabin resonance. Just saw it the other day.

Lazzman said:
Damn, I would love me one of those new 296hp Explorers but alas I no longer have $40k lying around. Besides I like the 2 door rigs better. Why did they stop making them...

Al did you here that Edelbrock just came out with a new muffler that promises high horsepower and guarantees no cabin resonance. Just saw it the other day.

I think the market for 2 doors dried up. So many options out there in the SUV world and Ford seems to be putting more behind the Escape as their smaller version of the Ex. I love the Sport model. I've had a '93, a '97 and the '00. They're so nimble and fun to drive. I wanted the extra door to get my kid in and out easier. The extra 10" can't hurt either for storage space/road trips. I'm pretty happy with my Eddie actually.

"Guarantees no resonance and high horsepower".

Sounds like a lot of hype and marketing to me. How can a muffler raise your HP that much?

Believe resonators are just empty chambers with 0 restrictions, cannot see how they would effect anything except noise

spindlecone said:
Believe resonators are just empty chambers with 0 restrictions, cannot see how they would effect anything except noise

Agreed. The Flo-Pro I put in had no restriction or at least minimal restriction. You could see right through it. Just a tube with some baffling surounding it and a pattern cut into the tubing to "tune" the exhaust. Worked well.

Lazzman:

If it's not too late, the resonator may still be an option for you. I recently put a Flowmaster Super 40 muffler on my Sport. I didn't like the interior drone either, and couldn't find room for a resonator. My buddy fabbed up a custom resonator to go on the end of the exhaust pipe. He used one half of a glasspack-style muffler, made what amounts to a large washer to seal up the cut end of the glasspack, and welded all of that into an oversized chrome exhaust tip. The whole thing tucks up under the bumper and looks great. It made a huge difference in the sound. The raspiness and interior drone were greatly diminished.

I have since switched to a Flowmaster 50 SUV muffler, and think the sound is just about perfect, inside and out.

BTW, to those who think resonators hurt performance, I believe they can help. Visualize how the exhaust gas pressure pulses from your engine are travelling down your exhaust pipe. If you think about why an exaust system would drone, or resonate, it stands to reason that the exhaust sound pulses are being reflected back up the exhaust system and setting up a standing wave of some sort. I don't have any data to back this up, but it seems likely that this would hurt performance by hindering the exhaust gas flow. By damping out the sound pulses at their resonant frequency (using a resonator), the standing wave is reduced, which should help if anything. Spindlecone is right - resonators present no flow obstructions, so they shouldn't hurt performance at all.

Regards,
John.

Back