Muffler vs sound resonator

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
I have searched and got several answers, talked to mechanics but been confused by their complicated jargin. What is the difference between a muffler and a sound resonator? Second if a sound resonator is there to reduce sound why do I (4th gen owners) have a muffler? It seems to me as if both of these just do the same thing twice so why not just have a better muffler in the first place?

as a side note to all those who might ask i have the 4.0 liter V6 not that this makes a difference because the V8 has the same resonator and muffler.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A resonator is empty while a muffler has internals. A resonator often works at a narrow frequency band dictated by the dimensions of the chamber - where as a muffler (depending on the internal design) works over a greater range of frequencies because of the acoustically differing chambers the gases encounter as it traverses through the muffler. The resonator bounces its targeted frequency back up towards the engine where as a muffler does this PLUS absorb energy (again depending on the design).

So if the muffler is doing the same thing the resonator is doing plus more, then why have the resonator in the first place? I have seen threads here about members removing their resonators however I have not seen anyone explain why they would do this. Or to what benefit the resonator has in the first place.

A resonator is added to reflect frequencies not covered by the muffler.
Posted via Mobile Device

And sorry I didn't address the part of your post about why you would remove a resonator in my reply. But basically there's probably no real-world quantifiable/measuravle reason as to why you would remove a resonator - considering the power outputs of these engines. As long as the out-pipe diameter is equal to or greater than the in-pipe, I see no reason to remove a resonator.
Posted via Mobile Device

so basically changing the resonator will simply increase the exhaust volume / change the exhaust tone?

(which for those who care is ok, but as for myself i don't mind a factory exhaust sound.)

so basically changing the resonator will simply increase the exhaust volume / change the exhaust tone?

(which for those who care is ok, but as for myself i don't mind a factory exhaust sound.)
It will change the tone but probably wont change the "volume". Like I said, as long as the out pipe is at least the same size or larger than the in pipe, then removing the resonator probably wont make any difference (except in sound).

some how i am missing the point of why the muffler isn't just more efficient. Why add a resonator instead of a better muffler?

some how i am missing the point of why the muffler isn't just more efficient. Why add a resonator instead of a better muffler?
Well a muffler design that meets all the requirements 100% can be rather complex . This is why there are so many different muffler designs out there. As far as efficiency, that term depends on what you want - efficiency as in least gas restriction? Or maybe efficiency as in it does the best job at canceling/absorbing most engine noise. This is an old problem in engineering and design - everything is a trade-off. In other words, most of the time, you can't have your cake and eat it too - you can only have A or B, but not both. So usually the so called "80% solution" is good enough - and maybe we'll just add a bandaid system on top to make up for that 20%.

Ahh but IZwack not only do I want my cake but I want extra icing on it too, and a really big fork. :p:
Seriously though I see so many people change it that it brought curiosity to my mind wondering if the whole changing of the muffler, (cat back, etc.) is really worth it or just some whole big sales pitch. From what it sounds like (and I trust you because you seem to know more about cars/trucks than I do) that a resonator delete, or change to the resonator is a waste of time.
If Im also not mistaken you are saying that the resonator is working in tandem with the muffler to better eliminate the sounds of the exhaust.

you are saying that the resonator is working in tandem with the muffler to better eliminate the sounds of the exhaust.
Exactly.

Just wanted to add my .02....removed my resonator on my 06 and heard no difference whatsoever.....

Just wanted to add my .02....removed my resonator on my 06 and heard no difference whatsoever.....

this just added major confusion to my mind once again

WHY FORD< WHY OH WHY DID YOU DO THIS??????

this just added major confusion to my mind once again

WHY FORD< WHY OH WHY DID YOU DO THIS??????

Hahah agreed!! The only thing it did for me was make my tailpipe extra wobbly because I cut the bracket the resonter was welded to and just bracketed the pipe there. haha

I looked through my resonater and could see clear through it....i thought there would at least be a tunnel of some sort?

Hahah agreed!! The only thing it did for me was make my tailpipe extra wobbly because I cut the bracket the resonter was welded to and just bracketed the pipe there. haha

I looked through my resonater and could see clear through it....i thought there would at least be a tunnel of some sort?

IZwack seems to have answered my question of what does a resonator do, and now your telling me the sound didn't change after you cut yours off.

Oh well, guess im digging into a pit that need not be created

IZwack seems to have answered my question of what does a resonator do, and now your telling me the sound didn't change after you cut yours off.

Oh well, guess im digging into a pit that need not be created

but I did fail to mention this..sorrry...I did have a flowmaster 40 on mine with the resonator..then i cut the resonator off and didnt hear a difference....maybe you would hear a difference with the stock muffler? Im not sure...i would think the resonator would make a bigger difference with a louder muffler....but im not sure on that.

Back