Multiple suspension noises | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We are waiting for you to take a drive and report back lol.

Sunday......

Took the ST out yesterday and drove it for about 40+ miles. Went over speed bumps, potholes, bumpy roads, basically all the roads I have driven over before . The car was quiet ! No clunking noise or a rebound noise from the suspension. Like I had said before, its not perfect but it is much, much better/quieter than before. Hopefully by securing the heat shield solved my issue. Will continue to monitor.

Took the ST out yesterday and drove it for about 40+ miles. Went over speed bumps, potholes, bumpy roads, basically all the roads I have driven over before . The car was quiet ! No clunking noise or a rebound noise from the suspension. Like I had said before, its not perfect but it is much, much better/quieter than before. Hopefully by securing the heat shield solved my issue. Will continue to monitor.

Which heat shield was it? The ones over the rear mufflers over the mid section? This would be awesome if that's all that it was.

Also, any chance you can post up your W/O so we can see the techs comments. This may help for other owners to have checked.

Man, I can't believe this, I may just have to crawl under there this weekend and go to work. I guess in a way it kind of makes sense, I initially did not hear it on the test drive, maybe it has loosened over time? I really hope this solves the problem.

Full disclosure, I own a 5th generation Explorer and thought I would read about the somewhat redesigned 6th generation Explorer and have found this thread somewhat amazing. More specifically if you go into the 5th generation forum you will find several lengthy threads on noises coming from the front suspension and many different solutions to fix the noise(s). I’m simply amazed that someone at Ford, perhaps the CEO, is allowing the problems to reoccur again that are now resulting in buybacks.

I do recall hearing what I thought was noise inside my dash of my 2002 Explorer and let my stereo installer hear it and he also thought it was absolutely coming from the in the dash and took it completely apart and made sure everything in it was secure and added materials in areas to ensure there was nothing in there that could cause a noise. After putting in back together, low and behold after two hours of work, the noise was still there. After no success, he then opened the hood and found a small diameter hose with a metal union on it that was hitting something else over bumpy roads that was the source of the noise. In summary, where you think you are hearing noise isn’t necessarily where the source of the noise is.

For everyone that has this problem, I do hope it’s as simple as the heat shield and don’t doubt that could potentially be the source. In my 5th generation Explorer after replacing many front end components it happened to be a bushing in the subframe that was causing the clunking type of noise when slowly driving over uneven surfaces.

Best of luck to all.

Which heat shield was it? The ones over the rear mufflers over the mid section? This would be awesome if that's all that it was.

Also, any chance you can post up your W/O so we can see the techs comments. This may help for other owners to have checked.

The shield over the rear muffler, don't know which side for sure.

Has anyone found a fix for their issue here?

I have had my ST in 3 times for the " suspension noises ". On the 3rd visit the tech found a rear muffler heat shield not installed properly and secured completely. He repositioned and secured the shield. My noises have disappeared. I am not saying this will solve everyones noise issues but its a place to look at. Maybe folks think they have suspension noises but could be other things. My tech told me that frame noises or rattles can travel up and down the frame so the noise is not where it seems to be. Have the techs look at the heat shields, if they are ok, well then move on. Its worth a shot. Good Luck.

Sorry about not getting back and posting the WO but all the tech wrote was that he "secured the heat shied". Does not say middle or rear, left or right. But talking to him he implied the rear, and I did not ask left or right.

Probably be a good idea to go over all the shields underneath to make sure they are all secure, wouldn't hurt.

I have noticed lately that '" suspension noise '" chatter has died down, quite considerably. Have folks had their issues resolved, buy outs completed , or are folks just living with their noises/issues ?

I have noticed lately that '" suspension noise '" chatter has died down, quite considerably. Have folks had their issues resolved, buy outs completed , or are folks just living with their noises/issues ?
Buyout for us. Love our new Expedition but miss the fun of the ST.

Buyout for us. Love our new Expedition but miss the fun of the ST.
Still waiting on my buyback. I have given up on another Ford. Buying a 2020 sierra at4 pickup. Good luck to all still living with this problem. My buyback has been mishandled and I wont reward Ford with another purchase. Really too bad, my dealer has been awesome but all the Expys I was considering have been sold. Gonna try GMC this time.

Still waiting on my buyback. I have given up on another Ford. Buying a 2020 sierra at4 pickup. Good luck to all still living with this problem. My buyback has been mishandled and I wont reward Ford with another purchase. Really too bad, my dealer has been awesome but all the Expys I was considering have been sold. Gonna try GMC this time.

Still waiting on my buyback...…......………………………...……...…….

The more I drive the ST, the less I start hearing these noises. It has kind of lessened but it is still there. I guess we will need to tell our serviceman is to double check the forward and back heat sinks. Make sure that they are secured.

The more I drive the ST, the less I start hearing these noises. It has kind of lessened but it is still there. I guess we will need to tell our serviceman is to double check the forward and back heat sinks. Make sure that they are secured.
I think you meant heat shields.

I have had my ST in 3 times for the " suspension noises ". On the 3rd visit the tech found a rear muffler heat shield not installed properly and secured completely. He repositioned and secured the shield. My noises have disappeared. I am not saying this will solve everyones noise issues but its a place to look at. Maybe folks think they have suspension noises but could be other things. My tech told me that frame noises or rattles can travel up and down the frame so the noise is not where it seems to be. Have the techs look at the heat shields, if they are ok, well then move on. Its worth a shot. Good Luck.

OK, here we go......drove from the Tampa area down to the KEY WEST. Put about 1K miles round trip. Car sat in garage for 2 days after trip. Drove 80% on interstate and turnpike and all was well. Good gas mileage, smooth & comfortable ride. So fired the car up today and drove for about 15 minutes to destination and back. THE FLIPPING NOISE IS BACK !!!!!! Seems worse than before. I am calling my service adviser to inform them up this development. Probably will wait to take it in for at least a week due to the virus crisis. Can you believe it, I thought my issue was cleared up, boy was I wrong. The bad thing is I have 18 months till my lease is up, SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE . I am really fed up with this vehicle.

Took my Platinum in for the third or fourth time for the suspension noise. This time hoping it was the heat shield. Nope. Still heard nothing from Ford regarding the CAS I filed with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK, here we go......drove from the Tampa area down to the KEY WEST. Put about 1K miles round trip. Car sat in garage for 2 days after trip. Drove 80% on interstate and turnpike and all was well. Good gas mileage, smooth & comfortable ride. So fired the car up today and drove for about 15 minutes to destination and back. THE FLIPPING NOISE IS BACK !!!!!! Seems worse than before. I am calling my service adviser to inform them up this development. Probably will wait to take it in for at least a week due to the virus crisis. Can you believe it, I thought my issue was cleared up, boy was I wrong. The bad thing is I have 18 months till my lease is up, SOMETHING IS GOING TO BE DONE . I am really fed up with this vehicle.

I called my service advisor today and gave her the latest update on the " NOISE ISSUE " plus all the missing parts, rear deflector, front strut item and the tow hook. I said I am going to wait a week or so to go in and drop the car off, AGAIN . Will wait till the virus issues slow down a little.

Back