Mustang 5.0 HO vs. X 5.0- differences? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang 5.0 HO vs. X 5.0- differences?

I Can Defy

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ZX3
ok- i was wondering what are the differences between the mustang high output 5.0 engine and the 1998 explorer 5.0 engine. i know that the x uses distributorless ignition and the stang uses coils, but what are the other differences? heads? intakes? etc... any and all help woudl be appreciated. thanks!

eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer has GT40-P heads and an intake that is a version of the Cobra intake. They both flow better than the regular Mustang 5.0. The Explorer cam is milder though.

cam-

what are the differences in the cams? what cam would you reccomend changing my stock x to? also- how much of a compromise in mpg is it to switch to a more aggressive cam? what are the hp gains like? thanks.

eric

Im not sure of the specific lift , etc of the Explorer cam but it is made more for torque than horsepower. I would contact either Crane Cams or Comp Cams, and they will be able to help you pick a cam that will give you more horsepower while retaining your torque. I would say gains could be 25-30 HP +.

a E303 cam or any other mild mustang cam would work really well in the explorer motor do the such a small stock cam. Ford offered a performance packege that included a E303 cam for the explorers along with headers and some other stuff.

gas mileage?

how will switching to the E303 cam affect gas mileage? what would be involved in changing to that cam? thanks again!

eric

well you need to pull the radiator as well as the condensor i belive other wise it will be a tight fit pulling and butting the cam in. you will need new lifters i would also put new pushrods and roller rockers when doing the swap. use either 1.6 or 1.7 . the milege should not change that much the most change should come from driving a lot harder all the time. you mite want to do heads as well as a mass air and injectors at the same time this way you will pick up a lot more power.

the only difference I know of is about 30hp :p

seriously tho, I imagine your cam is more geared for torque in an explroer, based on the weight differences and the fact that an suv is geared for towing. you'd think we'd have more HP than a stock mustang with a cobra intake and heads eh?

Back