The difference between X 5.0 and Mustang 5.0? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The difference between X 5.0 and Mustang 5.0?

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
What is the difference between a Mustang 5.0 and an X 5.0? I hear people talking about how musting 5.0 mods won't easily work with the X, but aren't they the same block?

Clue me in, one of the reasons I want the X v8 is so i can trick it out with all the cool accessories availible for the 5.0s

(Superchargers, cams.....)

Thanks,
Aaron

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X V8 has a different cam, better heads, no distributor, and an accessory drive unit that won't let Mustang superchargers work on it.

The Explorer 5.0 is the best 5.0 Ford made, but the weak cam holds back the engine, and manifolds and exhaust system clogg it up to. Explorers have high-flow cat's though.

Ask james t, as he knows a lot of the differences if I missed anything.

But couldn't you just switch the cams. The internals should be pretty similar if not identical. That would be an easy fix for one problem.

you can switch the cams, but I wouldn't use a stock Mustang's cam. The e-303 cam or b-303 (I think what james t has b/c it's made for supercharging), those are perfect for the 5.0, so basically e-303 for n/a or b-303 for supercharging a 5.0 Explorer V8.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
X V8 has a different cam, better heads, no distributor, and an accessory drive unit that won't let Mustang superchargers work on it.

What's the "accessory drive unit?" can i yank one off a junkyard mustang to fit the charger on?

i dont have a FRPP cam, i have a Comp Cams supercharger cam.

basically, the long blocks are the same. the X has better heads. the X also has DISS ignition, were as the 'stang has a distributor. the X has a very, very small cam (smaller than stock stang.) the mustang and explorer accessories are completely different, which means you cant use a stang charger without swapping to stang accessories. the only superchargers offered for the X motor right now are the Eaton and the Powerdyne. there are no others. if a better charger is desired, you can upgrade the powerdyne from the street BD-11 to the race XB-1A. this will be all the charger one would ever need, and would be easier than swapping accessories. the explorer has a cross-breed GT-40/Cobra intake, which will suit just about any power level. it also has very big fuel rails, which wont ever need to be upgraded. im sure im leaving something out, so as i think of things ill come back and post them.

James..can you recommend a good low RPM cam reaches maximum torque at 2400 RPMs for towing purposes? Thanks MIke

this would be my personal pick for the best towing/monster torque 5 liter cam...

Comp Cams 266HR.... part# K35-308-8
it is their Magnum roller cam series, has a 1200-5200rpm powerband, works well with stock heads/intake/convertor and a catback. this should be the "be all, end all" torque cam for a relativly stock 5 liter.

www.compcams.com

Has anyone changed the cam in their 5.0 X themselves. I just bought a 97 5.0 and i would like to put an E - cam in it. If you didn't change it yourself how much did it cost you to have it done. And if you did, how long and how big of a job is it.

Thanks,

Evan

Originally posted by james t
this would be my personal pick for the best towing/monster torque 5 liter cam...

Comp Cams 266HR.... part# K35-308-8
it is their Magnum roller cam series, has a 1200-5200rpm powerband, works well with stock heads/intake/convertor and a catback. this should be the "be all, end all" torque cam for a relativly stock 5 liter.

www.compcams.com

heh, I really want to ride in an Ex 5.0 that has had a cam swap, especially with that comp cam - you could probably roast the tires completley through 1st with that amount of torque and that power band.

black02 - not sure, some people have said they had to have their engines out to install and some haven't so...james will answer this;)

Thanks, James. If you are ever through Temple, I owe you a cup of coffee for your good advice. It will be interesting to see how my X pulls after the headers are installed. First got to have them ceramic coated, however. Plan to have that done in the next couple of weeks. FYI, Mr Gasket makes a solid copper gasket which I am planning to use. Its ports measures 1.25" X 1.75", which is about the same as the Motorsport gasket supplied. The supplied cheapie Motorsport gasket ports measured measured 1.29" X 1.76". Thanks again. Mike

Back