Mustang Guys... what do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang Guys... what do you think?

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hey guys, Ive got my explorer, and its not horrible... but its startin to get there. Im interested in a new car, and one option I want to investigate... a classic mustang.
I found a 1968 Mustang here in Houston, for $8500. Seems to be in good shape... I havent seen it personally yet tho. What kinda of things woulda you advise me on, in looking at, and considering a car like this as a daily driver. What are your opinions on having a classic like that as a dd anyways. I dont do a lot of driving... maybe 20-30 miles a day, max... and thats probably high. You can see the mustang Im lookin at over on http://www.1968mustang.info Give me some feedback please. Thanks!
--Bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At face value, looks like a nice car. Go over the body with a fine tooth comb. Rust is the enemy on these cars. Primary places for rust are floorboards, inside rear wheel wells at the trunk, joint between the front of the gas tank and the trunk, the lower radiator cross bracket, and the rear of the front fenders. Mechanically they are pretty simple vehicles. Probably the weakest point in the car is the C-4 tranny. It's a light duty tranny (stock auto tranny for most 289 Mustangs) and can be killed if the engine is hopped up (our 289 is putting down 320 hp, and I don't expect the C-4 to last a year.....we're switching to a T-5).

That car should work fine as a DD, but expect a lot of people to stare and point :D. My wife gets people checking our her '66 all the time. Since you're in Texas, you shouldn't have to worry about the grief of snow, but they are a little squirrrely in wet weather too.

Bryan it doesn't have A/C and after mkt. A/C, like Vintage Air isn't all that's cracked up to be, thnk about that in the summer time w/traffic.

And that's a lot of monies for a coupe sir, fastback I'd be a little more hyped about and not so much worried about the price, but a coupe?
I have nothing against the coupe but the value just isn't there.

And remember you really don't wanna buy anything that is on the south end of town, still way too much salt and humidity for my taste, (I grew up in Friendswood/Clear Lake) most of the cars there are cancer boxes waiting to happen.

JD is right these are not fun cars to drive in the rain, all Mudstain's suck in the rain, PERIOD!

He didn't mention if it had disc in the front or a power brake booster, this makes a huge difference about driving the car.

C-4 would be ok for a little hp but as JD said it really needs to be gone through and upgraded to handle and thing more than 300hp, but luckly thier cheap to have rebuilt.

And the Holley Projection, without the books your lost, not many people know how to set it up and make it run right, and the ones who do like me are several hundred miles from you. (Austin)

But as anyone should know, you are the one that has the final say so, it's your hard earned monies and if it's really what you want and will make you happy, it doesn't really matter what any of us say then.

I hope you the best and if I can help you please let me know, here's a look at my latest project, a 1965 convertable with 4 wheel disc and sb302 with an EFI conversion, enjoy:

Attachments

• DSC01705.jpg
    DSC01705.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 200
  • DSC01701.jpg
    DSC01701.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC01704.jpg
    DSC01704.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 204

The master cylinder and brake cylinders in both front wheels were replaced in 2003. You feel a lot of good, firm pedal when you push these manual brakes. The manual steering is not as tight as I would like it to be,

Ok it does have manual everything hmmmmmmmmm, missed that the first time around.

rally pac is a guage cluster on the steering colum, but for the life of me i cant remember what guages, i know one is a tac and the other i have no clue

Full instrumentation:

01.jpg

Jeff- :navajo:

DOH! :rolleyes: the Rally Pac was on the 66' we were taling about lastnight, sheeeeeeeeese!

Here's a Rally Pac:

64rralley.jpg

I should have drank more coffee before I posted earlier :confused:

Jeff- :navajo:

Im pretty much with Jeff on this one. Its a nice car, but i dont see $8k+ for a coupe with drum brakes. If you get the car, the first thing you will want(NEED) to do is at least go to discs in the front. 4 wheel discs and you wont even miss the power brake booster... but with drums front/back its gonna be a PITA. If its C4 i would doubt its a stocker.... i dont see anyone spending that much time on it and keeping the stock worn out tranny. Either way, its your call.... :)

james t said:
If its C4 i would doubt its a stocker.... i dont see anyone spending that much time on it and keeping the stock worn out tranny.

Unfortunately:

Transmission: Unmodified C-4 three speed automatic. I replaced the filter and pan gasket earlier this year.

Ah, well i should have read the description instead of just looking at the priddy pictures. :p

Mmmmyea, its gonna need a rebuild lol. No biggie, its not an A4LD. You can have one heckuva C4 built for $400-500.

dont6 knoe much about old mustangs but its a good deal. I almost got a 66 when i was 16 but they wanted like 14000 and it wasnt in that good of shape

Back