My 1993 4.0 v6 4x4 auto | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1993 4.0 v6 4x4 auto

Ok well i currently drive a 1993 4.0 v6 4x4 auto! it is completly stock (not for long) and im looking to beef it up a lil in the name of fun and boredom.

I purchased my x from my uncle, it used to be my aunts but she passed away a few years ago and it was then sold to my younger brother. He didnt want to deal w the upkeep of it so the three of us (my uncle, my bro, and me) decided to sign the title over into my name for $800 bc i jus so happened to need a cheap ride. After really getting to know the ins and outs of the vehicle I decided there were two options, sell it after i had saved some money or drive it into the ground!

As it turns out i actually have a good number of buddies from when i went to high school that run Jeeps and yotas on the weekends and they are still at it today. So i decided that why not turn my x into a badass mean 4 wheeln machine!

Now i was raised in a Chevy household, worked 2 years with a bunch of street racing techies at a Honda dealership, and have a personal attachment for jeeps and jus bout anything mopar!!! so Having no clue what i I'm bout to get into i found this site and now it seems to be all i do!

To start with i need to do a couple straight foward repairs including replacing tranny seals, replace cracked radiator (this is actually wierd because its cracked but holds fluid most of the time and never overheats even when its low), new exhaust, and some random other stuff!

After that I think i'm going to start with some basic beginner mods (thanx to the helpful recommendations from baddecision93). The first is to lift my rig with custom shackles,F150 coil seats and new shocks. then im going to add tow points to the front end scrap the bumpers and rip off the side skirts! they are only on there bout half way anyway due to rust and i like my ladies skirtless anyway! After that idk yet well see how it goes and take it from there!!

Ill try to add pics as much as possible but to start here are my stock pics enjoy!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MY 1993 x all stock
EDIT2.png

EDIT4.png

EDIT1.png

EDIT5.png

FRONTDASHBOARD.jpg

CENTERDASHBOARD-1.jpg

CARGOAREA-1.jpg

RUST UGH!!! :banghead:
DRIVERRUST-1.jpg

DRIVERRUST2-1.jpg

PASSRUST.jpg

PASSRUST2.jpg

Lmao :bsnicker: My ghetto rear hatch door!!
INSIDEREARHATCH.jpg

steps to opening my rear hatch!!!
step 1 open window
GHETTOHATCHOPEN1.jpg

Step 2 Very delicately align flat tip screwdriver w linkage
GHETTOHATCHOPEN3.jpg

Step 3 pry screw driver and pull on door lol
GHETTOHATCHOPEN4.jpg

SERIOUS POWER FACTORY LOL
MOTORANGLESHOT.jpg

Not the best shot but small radiator leak never overheats though :dunno:
RADIATORLEAK.jpg

FRONTENDUNDER.jpg

PITTMANNFRONTSTEERING.jpg

Tranny leak (more frustrating than my girlfriend) :splat:
TRANNYLEAK2-1.jpg

TRANNYLEAK-1.jpg

Suspension
Front
DRIVERSTOCKSHOCKNSPRING.jpg

PASSSTOCKSHOCKNSPRING.jpg

Rear
DRIVERSTOCKREARSHOCK-1.jpg

PASSSTOCKREARSHOCK.jpg

Leaf springs and shackles
DRIVERSHACKLE-1.jpg

PASSSHACKLENEXHAUSTTIP.jpg

measurements stock shackles
7 1/2 end to end
STOCKSHACKLELENGTH.jpg

5 1/2" bolt to bolt
STOCKSHACKLELENGTHBOLT2BOLT.jpg

Uh oh!! might have a clearance issue when i go to mount ne shackles the drop down hitch is right behind :censored:
SHACKLREARHITCHCLEARANCEISSUE.jpg

$10 dolla exhaust repair
GHETTOEXHAUSTREPAIR.jpg

Front ride height
STOCKFRONTWHEELWELLHEIGHT.jpg

Rear ride height
STOCKREARWHEELWELLHIEGHT.jpg

This is my lady friend!
SEXYDASHCOMPANION.jpg

And rear cargo area
CARGOAREA-1.jpg

Ok thats all i got for stock photos hope that gives you a good idea w what i got:feedback:

Thanks for the mention, kornfed.

Looks like you have a good plan of attack, keep on it :).

And I happen to like my ladies skirtless as well ;)

welcome & good luck with the x

Had a lil fun working on my truck yesterday! decided to pick up some seafoam gas treatment and add bout half of it to my oil to take care of a sticky lifter. I was more than surprised how well it worked not only did it almost completely take care of the noise the lifter was causing but i could feel a lil more something in the gas pedal too!! my truck jus seemed to run smoother overall i would highly recommend this stuff to any1 with the same problem or jus to anyone with an old high mileage vehicle that probly has some dirt and god knows what else floating around in the engine!
After treating my oil I decided no matter what lies under the side skirts, they had to go! so i delicately removed (ripped them off quick and carelessly) them from the sides of my truck and then decided to goof off a lil in the parking garage behind my apt! lol before the night ended i ghetto rigged a temporary fix to my rear hatch handle, silicone sealed the weather strip round the rear window removed the rusty ol spare tire from the undercarriage, fixed a breathing tube that had weathered and broke off from the rear axle, aired up the tires, and fixed my windshield sprayers! all n all it was small stuff but felt productive! now that i'm all tuned up and done w winter maybe ill get a chance here soon to take her out n put her through her paces a few times before i start bigger projects that i have planned!
here are some pics i took through the day!
100_0131.jpg

100_0133.jpg

100_0135.jpg

100_0134.jpg

100_0136.jpg

lol this is screaming amateur! :wtf:
100_0138.jpg

100_0137.jpg

Lol, nice flex!

Consider yourself lucky, too, you have more rocker left than I do. Maybe those skirts did something after all lol.

Back