My 1994 Ford Aerostar transmission blew up! Now what? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 1994 Ford Aerostar transmission blew up! Now what?

muservin

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Aerostar
I have been nursing my transmission along through little leaks and big leaks over the last month. The Van 1994 Ford Aerostar had been sitting on the lot for a long time, until I had to revive it. Put in a lot of things, new alternator, water pump, all its weaknesses! After driving it again for the first time in several years, it began to drip transmission fluid. A few leaks, then a river of drops in a parking lot. Finally, a month or so ago, one morning it wasn't even shifting reliably. I put two quarts of trans fluid in and not only did it drive like new, but it stopped leaking. I was shocked. None of my mechanics could explain it, but said, "miracle?" Recently, I overfilled it with Lucas trans fixer, the $12 white bottle. Same guy said I could drive it as long as I didn't go too far. In any case, it blew up the next night. At a corner it just started making an incredible racket I could feel through the floor, and it's been stuck for several days. I priced repairs and decide my best bet was a junkyard. My question now is, I have to repark it and I did on Sunday, only about 20 ft. on a city street, and it sounded like it was going to seize up altogether. Can I drive it like that to a better parking place around the corner, or will it cause further damage or seize up completely. ( It's kind of a life or death question, if anyone can answer, as I have had some big problems, health, eviction, etc. I'm living in the van, and don't want to do something else foolish, y'know? ) Can I drive it, say in the wee hours at 4AM, around the corner a half block, or is it going to be another nightmare? Thanks, if you'd like to help/advise.

Welcome to this forum! Your post was moved into its own thread in the Aerostar section. It sounds like you added too much Lucas, and it foamed out of the rear vent hole. You should replace the fluid & filter.

Do you know where it's leaking from?

If the van is that important to you then you'll want to figure that out & try to get it fixed as soon as possible.

I'd imagine the fix would cost less than a new van?... or maybe not...

I don't know what kind of filters are on these vans (canister or the flat kind) but I know some vehicles like to have an OEM filter otherwise they are prone to leaking.. I would hate for you to kill your tranny only to find out you had problem that simple.

Back