My '21 LTD Buying Experience

EXFAN

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 LTD 4WD
2009, XLT
Being my 5th Explorer, and with the exception of my '18 which I leased, my usual choice is to buy a 2 to 3 year old XLT with leather and some options. I love the new look of the '20+ models and a new XLT with some options seems to be the best value. I was going to go that direction because I didn't want to buy a used '20 and my "guy" had some good discounts plus rebates plus lease incentives which would offset the initial depreciation of a new '21. He had no '21 XLTs that I liked and XLT inventories are low here in SoCal. I thought to extend the lease on my '18 XLT and order a '22. However, my dealer was able to trade an XLT he had to another dealer for a LTD equipped as I wanted for a fair price. I've found the Ford dealers are discounting the higher priced LTD and Platinum levels quite a bit more than the XLTs but that could be a regional thing (He offered me a Platinum with Tech Pkg for $45k but it wasn't right for us). Considering I wanted a particular vehicle, colors, bench 2nd row, rear entertainment, etc, I feel I did OK pricewise and ended with a better equipped E at price that was getting closer to a loaded XLT.

so, I ended up with this '21 LTD, 4WD - MSRP $53k - Net price after sticker price reduction and rebates and incentives - $42k. The dealer gladly paid my last 2 payments too ($798) because he wanted my '18 E. I leased again, $2k down mostly to cover fees (CA), $412 a month. I'm OK. I never though I would lease a car and for a second time, but for now it fits my lifestyle.

The car market has shifted a lot recently and something for all of us to consider when shopping is don't underestimate the value of your trade or lease turn-in. The used car market is hot right now and near new used vehicles are becoming a viable option for new car buyers that can't find the vehicle they want due to the chip shortage causing low inventories. My '18 had a buyout of $24k (I only put $1500 down when I leased it). So..., could I have gone to CarMax and made a couple of grand? Quite possibly and everyone should evaluate that option or selling on their own before they trade in their vehicle. My dealer now has my '18 for sale Certified and asking $34k. They'll clear 6 to 7k on on it. Personally, I feel my trade was necessary for me to get my deal. Yes, I'm sure there was a few grand more they could have come down, but some rebates were expiring in less than a week which I would have lost. To sell my '18 on my own vs turning in which I'm comfortable doing, could have been profitable. However, it could have just been a wash, a loss, or no deal so I let them have my '18. My point is, after some due diligence researching and negotiating, I had to "let go" and not lose sleep over leaving some money (if any) on the table. Time is valuable for me now. BTW, did I mention I now have EXACTLY the vehicle I wanted? This is worth something to me.

Anyway, we just drove the '21 1200 miles and really like it much better than the '18. Fuel economy is a little low at 22 mpg, but it was loaded. I'm hoping it will get a little higher in a few thousand miles but from some reading on this forum, maybe not.

Overall, the extra technology, better sound system and ventilated seats to name a few of the upgraded features really have us enjoying our LTD. Our little one really enjoys the rear entertainment system too.

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

Back