My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project

How hard was it to flip the back end 'shock absorber plate thingy'? As you may be able to tell I'm new to this. I have a 96 xlt and want to lift the suspension about two inches.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks... Didn't even think about ebay... Btw dirt rig looks awesome same to mine soon have some time off next July an am planing my sas then...

War best thing if you only want 2 inches would be shackles in the rear and torsion twist in the front... You will get 2-3 inches in 20 minutes

How hard was it to flip the back end 'shock absorber plate thingy'? As you may be able to tell I'm new to this. I have a 96 xlt and want to lift the suspension about two inches.

The SOA (spring over axle) gives you 5 1/2 inches of lift.
If your looking for couple inches then TT (torsion twist) in the front is free, you already have it on your explorer
For the rear you can shackles like how I did when I first started. I used Copperhead Fab shackles. A lot of people on here used warrior shackles. I never had any problem with mine besides having to drill larger holes threw because they were too small
Or you can do AAL (add a leaf)

if you're broke like me....

a set of fabtech spindles and aaleafs off craigslist make my 2wd pretty sweet even tho im dreaming of a 4wd monster..... $160 bucks wth not

still on 33's but i will find a deal on something soon

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0397.jpg

Take the AAL out and do a SOA. Trust me its worth it.
Only problem with spindles is you cant go any higher after that. (I wouldn't at least) IFS with tires bigger then 35s will tear your **** apart an less you do heavy upgrades

so basically what you did is taller spindles in the front and SOA in the rear?

btw these ex's are sick!

Mine are fabtech I found on craigslist for 160. They are made for a ranger and when you call fabtech they will tell you it wont work on torsion bars. The guy who takes care of that wasn't around when guys were doin this 10 years ago. But I found an old download that showed the exact lower control arm mod for them to work(I can post it, if need be). Which I am fairly positive has to be done on all of them made by different companies. But hey Im a plumber not a mechanic so what do i know anyway:navajo:

Oh and for the record the rear is a set of skyjacker soft ride 6" lift leafs that did not meet my expectations but is at the right height. I had the aaleafs on for half a day before looking for other options. So i plan on doing 4.56's, s.o.a and 35-37's all at once. Then comes a solid axle and 4x4 trans............ nah i'm bull ****tin i'll drive it until im bored then sell it and start building a 4x4.

Just find spindles that will fit an earlier ranger edge. Mine are "made" for a 01-05 ranger edge
In the rear its SOA. Everything but my axle perches are stock. All you do is rearrange in the rear to lift.

I’m a little late to the party. If all I have is a stick welder, can I use that for the perches?

You technically could use any kind of welder if you know what you're doing. Just dont crank it up too high or you'll melt tube

Back