My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2wd 1998 xlt lift spindles and SOA project

Well yes, but I mean I hope that it doesn't lift too high in the back to the point that I can't match it in the front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worst comes to worst you get longer torsion bolts (grade 8)

Yeah. I plan on getting stiffer bars too, just to be safe.

Get sport trac ones. Thats what im investing in when i bend mine

Are those the ones rated 1 and/or 2? I know those are supposed to be the stiffest. I'm pretty sure that on the regular Explorers the B ones are the stiffest offered. I think I'm gonna get those. They'll be stiff enough for me. My sport with the V6 is definitely lighter than the 4-doors with the V8's that I'm pretty sure most of the B's were on.

Idk what grade they are. I know theyre alot stiffer and stronger then the x and xlts. Messing with torsion to much, might as well get bigger and better

I'll look into it more when I get closer to doing this. I've still gotta get a locker, gears, find someone to weld on the axle perch, get the spindles, longer torsion bolts, and I want to get higher quality discs and pads so that I can still stop. And new tires of course. Haha seems like I've got nothing on the list so far...

We all start out somewhere man. I had the axle perches for months before I actually got around it to

Spindles finally came.
Got new ball joints cus other ones were thrashed.
IMG-20121020-00283_zpsaa677898.jpg

Took old ball joints out and threw on the knew ones.
started mounting on the spindles right when I got home. Bugs are horrible, so early start in the morning
IMG-20121020-00284_zps05ae461b.jpg

Done!
IMG-20121021-00288_zpsd3c69c60.jpg

IMG-20121021-00286_zpsfff0a32c.jpg

IMG-20121021-00290_zpsd0405c4e.jpg

I'm 6'5 and still had plenty of flex
IMG-20121021-00291_zps04465b63.jpg

Looks sweet man! I'm so jealous! Any rubbing or anything?

Looks good! Got any pics next to your buddies SAS/SOA for comparison?

No rubbing at all. Could a kept going but don't have anymore tires on rims to run over haha
I could clear 37s but I don't trust those on IFS. 35s are the biggest I'm goin till I do my SAS

Goin by his house today to see how much closer I got

Awesome! Can't wait for the comparison picks and glad to hear the tires fit great!! I'd still try to roll the edges on that sheet metal some to lower the chances of it slicing through a tire if you stuff it up there really hard.
Could you measure from the ground the the bottom of the body at the front and the back? Like in these two spots:
IMG-20121021-00288_zpsd3c69c60.jpg

I wanna see how tall I'll need to be to make sure I'm able to fit 35"s also. And hopefully I won't need to trim my fender...I like it not cut up haha

I cut mine just for the high fender look. Can't afford fiberworx fenders right now.
Front 24 1/4
Rear 22 flat
I also changed my torsion bolts to longer grade 8s so I can torque em all the way to max out the keys. So I'm bulldogin a bit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome man! Thanks for the measurements. And I don't wanna cut these, but I would love the fiberworx ones...but too much money for me. And I've done an aal so hopefully I'll be able to get both the front and back to about 24" or so after I get the longer torsion bolts and possibly stiffer bars.

Back