My 5.0 swap with details | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.0 swap with details

Could also check into getting an oil pan from a 5.0 explorer. IIRC, this is a mustang engine right? Would you be able to use one of those fumoto drain valves?

Yes, it is a mustang oil pan. I have never seen one of those Fumoto drain valves,(had to look them up) that's a good idea. I don't think it would fit although, it may be hard to see from my photo but the drain plug is directly above the pivot bracket.
I would like more lift is why I'm asking about the drop brackets, it would be great if a new drop pivot bracket would fix this problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I took a closer look at the pics, that drop bracket might work...there's probably no junkyards around there to even grab a 5.0 explorer pan and mock it up just for curiousity, is there? Lol.

haha, unfortunately no. It's slim pickin's around here for V8 explorers, that's why I jumped on the mustang engine when I saw it. I've been thinking hard on this problem since yesterday and I think with some more heater box modification I can drill new motor mount holes and move the engine back ~1.5" which would move the drain plug just past the pivot bracket. Hopefully I'll try it out tomorrow.

Makes sense....i think 1st gen heater boxes have to be modified to clear a 302 anyways...lol.

Makes sense....i think 1st gen heater boxes have to be modified to clear a 302 anyways...lol.

ya I know the heater box must be modified, I was hoping to just mold it with a heat gun instead of cut it up.

Good news! I moved the engine back 1.5" and the oil drain plug clears now. I will post more pics of clearance I have later on and progress as it happens.

ya I know the heater box must be modified, I was hoping to just mold it with a heat gun instead of cut it up.

Good news! I moved the engine back 1.5" and the oil drain plug clears now. I will post more pics of clearance I have later on and progress as it happens.

I've heard you use a heat gun and a large oil filter to mold and shape the heat/ ac box. Seems like someone did that on here.

Hoosier observer

Scribin'

Got the all of the accessory brackets lined out, here's what I am using.

'86 mustang alternator bracket with-
aftermarket mustang higher amp alternator

'89 F150 5.0L A/C & P/S bracket with-
'93 explorer A/C compressor & P/S pump

'86 mustang waterpump

Also, try to ignore how dirty it is under the hood for now haha

screenshot capture

free pic

thats awesome! is there a big difference in the engine bay between your Explorer and my 01 Sport? looking to do the same thing here!

thats awesome! is there a big difference in the engine bay between your Explorer and my 01 Sport? looking to do the same thing here!

I'm not sure the amount of 01 Explorer Sport models that came as a 5 speed. It is much easier to start with a 5 speed as opposed to creating one. This is not saying it can't be done, just search it and see what you can find.

I believe the engine bay size is the same.

You would be insane to run that steering pump with that beautiful motor. Go buy a bracket for a Saginaw pump and you will have twice the PSI and more importatntly whine-free steering! The 302 swap affords you the option of deleting one of Ford's few achilles heels - that pitiful whiney PS pump.

You would be insane to run that steering pump with that beautiful motor. Go buy a bracket for a Saginaw pump and you will have twice the PSI and more importatntly whine-free steering! The 302 swap affords you the option of deleting one of Ford's few achilles heels - that pitiful whiney PS pump.

Yes you're right, the ford pump sucks sometimes but mine isn't whining yet and still works good. So for the sake of saving some $$$ I will be using the ford pump.. When this pump gives out I will change it, until then I'll have to be insane ;) All of my friends already think I am for swapping in this motor anyways haha

Sounds like you're making good progress!

Ok, finally here's an update! I've been busy with my regular job and building a Scout 80 on the side to sell, so the Explorer has kinda taken a back burner. But, here is some progress.

Here's the Scout if there are any IH fans on here..

free upload pictures

I used a 50oz flywheel and 11" clutch for a 1986 F150 5.0. Here is the NP435 installed. The stock explorer trans mount fit the NP435 also.

picture upload sites

adult image upload

image free hosting

To fit the NP435 comfortably, I had to put on a 2" body lift... Though I'm not complaining! And got some 5.0 badges.

free screenshot software

And here is the start of the Ron Francis wiring harness, kinda a mess right now.

image url

That scout looks like you have put a lot of work into it! Details?

I'm still finishing up my '97 explorer....working full time and swapping engines...not so fun!

How's Union? I passed through over Memorial Day. Lol

That scout looks like you have put a lot of work into it! Details?

I'm still finishing up my '97 explorer....working full time and swapping engines...not so fun!

How's Union? I passed through over Memorial Day. Lol

It's a 1962 Scout 80 half cab; 86,000 original miles on stock 4 cylinder and 3 speed manual. It was a project the last owner didn't finish, so that is what I'm doing! Just got the original wheels powder coated and new tires for it. It should be up for sale on Ebay in the next month or so :)

Union is great! I actually live in Baker City now, not too far away. I was just in Portland last weekend! lol

I had forgotten how long those shifters are! Is it going to clear as it sits or are you going to have to re-bend? I helped swap one of those into an early bronco and it wouldn't clear the dash real well...lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It actually clears the dash and console right now, but I don't think it would have fit without the body lift. I am going to shorten the shifter and maybe bend it slightly to be more comfortable.

Back