My 5.0 swap with details | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 5.0 swap with details

Has anyone used the BW 4406 electric shift in a 1st gen Explorer?

I am thinking about trying to find a BW4406 and modify the electrical plug at the transfer case so I can still use my stock shifter buttons.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It actually clears the dash and console right now, but I don't think it would have fit without the body lift. I am going to shorten the shifter and maybe bend it slightly to be more comfortable.

Have you seen the gear banger they have for the early broncos?

Have you seen the gear banger they have for the early broncos?

Yes! They look great! I contacted them about making one for an Explorer/Ranger setup and they were glad to build one with some measurements from me.

Those brackets will fix your problem. Just installed them. Moves the bracket to the front side of the cross member web.

Hey Dude did you ever get this thing running

I'm curious also. Is it running? I'm thinking about a V8 swap into my 98 2wd.

so i heard the 5.0 from the explorer will bolt up directly is this correct???

UPDATE:

I have not been active on here for a long time, but I never gave up on my Explorer 5.0 swap. Here it is all finished!

I used the factory 4.0 radiator by moving it toward the front of the car . I had to cut a small amount of the core support and move the A/C condenser in front of the core support. I used the factory mustang upper radiator hose and the factory explorer lower hose.

Radiator
upload gambar
A/C condensor
image uploader

For the air intake tube, I bought a kit that fit an 04 Suburu WRX and cut to fit into my stock air box with a K&N filter. The mass air flow sensor is the stock explorer which is working great with the 5.0 Mass air computer.
image free hosting

It is kind of hard to see in these photos, but I used a remote oil filter kit from summit racing and mounted the filter on the passenger side. I also replaced the steering box and added a drop pitman arm along with a steering stabilizer.

screen shot windows

how to do a screen shot

For the fuel system I used the factory Explorer fuel pump and filter. I bought Dorman Ford fuel quick disconnect ends and a roll of nylon fuel hose and pressed my own fuel lines.

image upload with preview

I ended up using an NP205 transfer case which I am happy with, except it is very heavy. I tried to fit an NP208 and BW1356, both hit the frame rail and I was not willing to notch the frame. The factory Ford Explorer speedometer cable plugged in the NP205 without mods and is accurate without the needle bouncing.

screen shot

I ended up using an NP205 transfer case which I am happy with, except it is very heavy. I tried to fit an NP208 and BW1356, both hit the frame rail and I was not willing to notch the frame.

screen shot

I changed out the automatic brake pedal assembly for a factory explorer manual pedal set. For the clutch setup, I used a 1993 explorer clutch master cylinder, 1989 bronco clutch line, and 1993 Ford f150 6 cylinder external clutch slave cylinder. The reason you need to use the 6 cylinder slave is it has a smaller diameter than the 1986 F150 NP435 has. The explorer master does not have enough force to push a 1" bore slave. I believe the one I used has a 15/16" bore.

image hosting 30 mb

And here are the shifters all bent and cut to shape.

image hosting site no sign up

For the exhaust, I had to use 1970's car manifolds. They tuck close to the block. From the y-pipe, it becomes 3" single with a flowmaster muffler. It has a nice rumble around town but is quiet on the highway.

online photo sharing

For those wondering how it does without overdrive, it does just fine as a daily driver. I have 3.27 gears with 32" tires. It runs just over 2,000 rpm @60mph. Oregon hwy speed limit is 55 so it works out great.

Overall, I am very happy with the swap. It is really fun to drive and very comfortable to me.

Was it easy? NO.
Would I ever do it again? NO.
Was it worth it? YES!

I'll try to answer any questions you have:)
image hosting 15mb

Back