• Register Today It's free!

my 89 B2 - new owner- need advice

cdubb

Reaction score
City, State
Round Top, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'89 Bronco II
hey guys i just recently picked up an 89 b2 4x4 spd manual t-case. i also have been doing some research on here and i came across a 91 explorer 4x4 5spd, but with auto hubs and push button 4x4. also this is a 2door not 4 door. my question is will the front and rear axles bolt up to my b2 with minimal modifications? and are the leafs in the back the same as a 4 door? i want to swap motors and tranny's with the explorer and i was also wondering if i could use my manual hubs off my b2 as well as the b2 t-case? i know thats alot but any help would be appreciated. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes the front diff assembly will bolt right in, no the rear Explorer diff will not without a complete fab job. The 4.0 will fit right in place of the 2.9 and even hook up to the exhaust Y pipe. Wiring is something you will need to be experienced in however as the entire ECM and most of the engine harness will need to be changed as well as some fuel line modifications.

so another questions is, are the rear leafs on the 2 door ex the same as the 4 door? if i was to change axles, do i need custom driveshafts or can i use existing ones? sorry for all the questions, im trying to build on a budget, so i want to get things right before i start! thanks

so another questions is, are the rear leafs on the 2 door ex the same as the 4 door? if i was to change axles, do i need custom driveshafts or can i use existing ones? sorry for all the questions, im trying to build on a budget, so i want to get things right before i start! thanks
The sport leafs that arent the Mono leafs are the same as 4 door springs minus the overload leaf.

the d35 will bolt up easily inplace of the d28 but when you put the expo 8.8 in you will need to convert it to spring over as the explorers are sprung under from the factory

also are you planning on using the stock tcase and rebuilding it or using the one from the expo? if you use the stock one you will most likely need to have the front driveshaft shortened

i plan on using the stock t-case bc its a manual. the ex i found has auto hubs and push button 4x4. but it has a 5pd and a 4.0 with 70kmi on it. so i plan to take the motor, tranny, front and rear axles, and the rims and tires, bc the stock ones are shot. when swapping tranny's, do u use the b2 crossmember or the expo x member? what do u guys suggest for a lift to put it on 33s or 35s? (keep in mind im on a student budget-lol) any help appreciated. thanks alot guys

Back