DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Hi all,

A while ago I posted about my ABS issues.. Today, I've had enough.

My ABS light has been on for a while, but only turns on once the car starts moving, the initial ABS test when starting the engine passes.

Both front hubs are new now.. with new sensors.
I replaced the sensor in the rear axle.

And today I put on new rotors and nice new brakes all around. So I really want my ABS back for winter.

Please help.

It won't let me scan for codes since the light only comes on after driving it..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

11910d1282145753-bumps-animated-icons-hippo_bump.jpg

does the light come on and stay on after driving it prior to shutting it off? or is it only on when the vehicle is moving?

You need to get a scanner on there and get the code once the light is on. Being its setting a DTC once moving points to a wheel speed sensor or wire.

does the light come on and stay on after driving it prior to shutting it off? or is it only on when the vehicle is moving?

Light stays on.

You need to get a scanner on there and get the code once the light is on. Being its setting a DTC once moving points to a wheel speed sensor or wire.

Nothing wants to scan it.. I've tried with a $400 scanner.

Ive had good luck with an elm module and forscan. Its a free online program that will read abs pcm gem rap etc codes that a normal obd scanner wont pick up. Elm module is like 15 bucks on amazon. Helped diagnose a lot of problems ive had

I'm wondering if you might have some air in the ABS system.

Ive had good luck with an elm module and forscan. Its a free online program that will read abs pcm gem rap etc codes that a normal obd scanner wont pick up. Elm module is like 15 bucks on amazon. Helped diagnose a lot of problems ive had

coolauzie88 has the answer, buy the USB to OBD2 Elm module and download forscan. It is an amazing tool! Does everything a regular scanner does plus ABS and airbag systems and much more that I am still exploring (a little pun intended).

coolauzie88 has the answer, buy the USB to OBD2 Elm module and download forscan. It is an amazing tool! Does everything a regular scanner does plus ABS and airbag systems and much more that I am still exploring (a little pun intended).

Although I reallllly wish it was this easy. I have a scanner like that already. Works great, but it won't read my ABS.
I've tried Forscan and I have the pro ford version of ScanXL.
I can get Forscan to flash the ABS light on the dash, but that's about it.

Edit: FORscan is the funniest tool to mess with people though. I let my buddy behind the wheel and did the GEM test, he freaked when wipers started turning on by themselves and the throttle was accelerating alone.
Mind you, the vehicle was in park with the parking brake on. :)

Sorry DJ, there must be a difference with 97 and older. I have successfully used Forscan with ABS on my 98 Mountaineer and 2000 Explorer and to find a open circuit with my Airbags on the 2000.

Sorry DJ, there must be a difference with 97 and older. I have successfully used Forscan with ABS on my 98 Mountaineer and 2000 Explorer and to find a open circuit with my Airbags on the 2000.

No, I think something's wrong with my ABS module after thinking about it.
I can do so much with FORScan, it'll connect to the ABS system, but won't show me the codes, as with most other readers..

Found another post DJ had about this problem where he listed the tires were the same size and new, along with what he tried scanning with. :(

stupid questions, but are all 4 tires the same size?

Lol, yes, all 4 tires are the same.

Not a stupid question, it makes sense, since it would throw off the sensors.

just asking because an "old school mechanic" buddy of mine was having all sort of screwed up issues on the 2002 mustang ABS, he was telling me all about it. I told him if he brought it over to my shop, I would be happy to look at it for him. When he drove up, he had huge tires on the back, and regular tires on the front. Looked cool, but needless to say....... LOL. I tried to explain the principle behind ABS for over half an hour. finally I said just change the DA** tires, or live with it. He could believe the difference once he changed his rear tires.

just asking because an "old school mechanic" buddy of mine was having all sort of screwed up issues on the 2002 mustang ABS, he was telling me all about it. I told him if he brought it over to my shop, I would be happy to look at it for him. When he drove up, he had huge tires on the back, and regular tires on the front. Looked cool, but needless to say....... LOL. I tried to explain the principle behind ABS for over half an hour. finally I said just change the DA** tires, or live with it. He could believe the difference once he changed his rear tires.

LOL. That's how you roll with style.

But I've had this issue for over 4 years now. And 3 different sets of tires. (1 set was used and lasted about a year, so no I don't grind through tires.)

Well the ABS self-test on start up tells us the sensors all have power and send back a signal. Since you have changed them all and the error only comes up when the vehicle begins moving, then we are left with really only a few possibilities: either the signals being sent back have an issue, or the control module reading the signals has one. Before sinking $150 into a new ABS control module (or pulling one for less from a yard), when was the last time you changed the gear oil in the rear differential and inspected the gears? If the tone ring has a crack or is gunked up with metal shavings, or possibly if the rear sensor is too far away from the tone ring then you may not receive a signal from it even though the sensor is working correctly. Would also note that if the rear end was regeared or swapped it may have the wrong sized tone ring for the sensor you mounted. There at 3.7" and 4.5" tone rings used in the 8.8. If the sensor was made for the 4.5" ring and you have the 3.7", it wont reach far enough to read it. A simple test would be remove the sensor and insert something to measure how far away the tone ring sits and compare it to the depth of the sensor. Normally the gap between the sensor and the ring is only a couple thousandths.

Well the ABS self-test on start up tells us the sensors all have power and send back a signal. Since you have changed them all and the error only comes up when the vehicle begins moving, then we are left with really only a few possibilities: either the signals being sent back have an issue, or the control module reading the signals has one. Before sinking $150 into a new ABS control module (or pulling one for less from a yard), when was the last time you changed the gear oil in the rear differential and inspected the gears? If the tone ring has a crack or is gunked up with metal shavings, or possibly if the rear sensor is too far away from the tone ring then you may not receive a signal from it even though the sensor is working correctly. Would also note that if the rear end was regeared or swapped it may have the wrong sized tone ring for the sensor you mounted. There at 3.7" and 4.5" tone rings used in the 8.8. If the sensor was made for the 4.5" ring and you have the 3.7", it wont reach far enough to read it. A simple test would be remove the sensor and insert something to measure how far away the tone ring sits and compare it to the depth of the sensor. Normally the gap between the sensor and the ring is only a couple thousandths.

Rear diff fluid was never changed, but it's fine since I did check it about a month ago by sticking a hose right down to the bottom and pulling some oil out.
Interesting idea about the tone ring size. The gears are original back there. The issue was happening before I switched the tone ring.

Come to think of it, the issue started with the ABS going on at every stop.. every single stop the abs would activate.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back