MONMIX

I fix dents
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Millersville , Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
This thread is going to be written in several phases.
1) Ordering
2) Program 1 87 performance
3) Program 2 92 performance
4) Program 3 road trip fuel economy

First a bit of history.
I have a 2000 SOHC, with a MAC intake, PRO-M 75mm with calibrated meter,
flowmaster muffeler and 2.5 exhaust.
I have been running a two program from Apten since early last summer.
At first it was antastic. The truck was a friggin' rocket.
But I quickly was plagued with CEL's.
I sent it back for a reburn. No hasseles, no issue. Got the chip back, less perfomance, and a CEL came back. Third reburn, less performance, but no CEL.
I figure there has to be a better way.
I started reading of two programers on this site, for my own reasons, I chose to go with Doug at Bama chips.
Through e-mails we discussed my situation, my wants and possibilities.
Over the course of a few weeks Doug asked many questions. FAR more than Apten ever did. Doug seems to really be driven to create the exact programs I desire. Putting a customers wants and desires first. Doug will go a long way with such an attitude.
Comming soon,
Test drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking forward to it. I spoke with Doug just today as he called me on my cell phone to give me a tracking # for the return voyage of my chip to Canada. I've still got one Apten program remaining, but just so I can compare to the handiwork of both Doug and Wayne. Both are great guys to deal with.

Looking forward to your reviews. I'm especially interested in what you have to say about Program 3. That's a great idea. Just wish I had more room on my chip. If all goes well, Apten 91 is going the wayside. I too get the odd CEL and maybe it was the chip! You're not the first to notice CELs from Apten related issues.

I too anxiously await your report. And yes, it will have great value since I value your opinion, Seat of the pants means a lot to me too.

Ignore the naysayers, do your thing.

start a new thread
Dyno va. Pants or what have you.
I am closing my own thread.
PM me with qusetions and comments about my comments.
I will open it again as I am able to review.

Monmix: I cleaned and opened this thread again.
Post your review when ready:D

Anybody else who posted before: Don't try to start trouble like that again.

Crankcase said:
Monmix: I cleaned and opened this thread again.
Post your review when ready:D

Anybody else who posted before: Don't try to start trouble like that again.
Okay, than how about some real facts?

Here is a fact Spindle.....THIS IS YOUR WARNING: IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE BANNED, STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD FROM NOW ON IF YOU DO NOT HAVE RELEVANT INPUT.

Hey Kevin,

Your chip was received today and programmed tonight, it will be on it's way back to you tomorrow and I'll send you your tracking number then. I hope it's more to your liking then the old tuning.

Thanks, Doug.

Shipped to: CALGARY, AB, CA
Shipped or Billed on: Jan 20, 2005
Service Type: STANDARD
Weight: .60 Lb

Package Progress:

Date/
Time Location Activity

Jan 20, 2005
8:16 P.M.
WINFIELD, AL, US
DEPARTURE SCAN
8:04 P.M. WINFIELD, AL, US ORIGIN SCAN
6:57 P.M. US BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

well us Marylanders are about to get our ***** kicked with two snow storms.
So it may be a little wile before I am able to get it instaled and get some real results.
Believe me folks I am chomping at the bit.

Thanks Crankcase.

***Chapter 1.5 ***
I put the chip in last Wednesday. fliped it to 87 Performance.
I first noticed the obvious. Being chipless sucks. I am go gald to get out of stock mode. The shifts are not as hard as the old Apten program, but just as firm.
The next day I fliped over to the MPG program because I was almost on E and Friday was still another day away.
MPG is like 87 performance in slow motion. I don't know how else to describe it.
Driving in that short amount of time I can not make any realistic or honest calims on any MPG improvement, but one thing that did surprise me was that when I did need to punch it to merge there was still plenty of jazz there. No real noticable power loss for sake of MPG. Nice. I have a 275 mile trip to Raleigh NC next month that should yield some decent opportunity for the MPG program.
Back this evening in 87 performance. It feels quicker than the old Apten program. Agressive if you will.

So far I am pleased. Not blown away. But thus far I have only done the to and from work thing. I'll play around this weekend ( weather permitting ) and in the week to come and post some more later. So far so good though.

And I still have two more programs to go through. :)

Hey guy,

I'm glad your finally getting a chance to play with it, I was wondering if you were gonna be able to even see it with some of the snow storm reports I've seen on the news.

Your about right with the 87 Performance programs. I don't do many milage programs as I mainly recommend using the 87 Performance program as the milage one. There is such very little difference that on a 3 program flasher it would be a waste to take up a position with it over some better tuning. Hopefully you will get some better milage with it still.

As for the shifting I use my own custom shifting pressures not that of SCT's, especially for an Explorer. I try to keep them liveable under light throttle and still firm under heavier acceleration. The SCT files can cause for some really harsh shifting with the heavy loads of an Explorer.

Can't wait for the higher octane reviews but one things for sure, if you have to wait till this summer keep it safe, I don't wanna hear about a Explorer wrecked in a snow drift ;).

Thanks, Doug.

well with the higher octante stuff I want to have my MAC and PRO-M stuff on then.
Full effect ya know ?

In the I really should pay more attention catagory.
I have been running 87 for so long I never gave the higher octane a look for so many years.
I don't even know where to find 92 around here. EVERY THING is 93. :)

I got my chip back from Doug and Wayne yesterday and although I haven't put a lot of miles on the Ex yet since, all is well in my world again. :)

Here's how mine is set up now:

(0)-Bama 87 Performance, over-wrote Apten 87 performance
(1) Apten 91 Performance, for comparison to (2) and (3) below.
(2) Hypnotic 91 Performance
(3) Bama 91 Torque

It's going to be fun trying them all out :thumbsup:

I didn't realize you took out the intake and MAF for the time being. What's with that?

MONMIX said:
well with the higher octante stuff I want to have my MAC and PRO-M stuff on then.
Full effect ya know ?

In the I really should pay more attention catagory.
I have been running 87 for so long I never gave the higher octane a look for so many years.
I don't even know where to find 92 around here. EVERY THING is 93. :)

AHh you'll be fine then, since I also wrote you a 93 program then you can check both the 92 and the 93 Performance programs out. There is very little difference between the two but I do have to make some because most places that actually do have 92 it is really not much better then 91. I doubt the seat of the pants feel will differ much but on a dyno you might see a couple more top end ponies.

How about that CEL? Is it back?

Thanks, Doug.

My intake HATES the cold.
It acted like the old O ring failure recall thing.
Runs like absolute shiate till it gets warm and then it purrs like a kitten.
I swaped the intake and put the stock with the K&N back on and problem gone.
Every day I am praying for spring ( even now as it snows again :( )

Yeah I got the CEL on the way home from Hagarstown tonight.
I ran it and cleared it on my scanguage ( all wile crusing at 75 MPH :) )
If I recall it was a 1152 and 1132 I don't remember if that is the rich or the lean code.
My book is at work.

MONMIX said:
My intake HATES the cold.
It acted like the old O ring failure recall thing.
Runs like absolute shiate till it gets warm and then it purrs like a kitten.
I swaped the intake and put the stock with the K&N back on and problem gone.
Every day I am praying for spring ( even now as it snows again :( )

Yeah I got the CEL on the way home from Hagarstown tonight.
I ran it and cleared it on my scanguage ( all wile crusing at 75 MPH :) )
If I recall it was a 1152 and 1132 I don't remember if that is the rich or the lean code.
My book is at work.

I used to think the intake was causing some of my cold weather issues, but now I'm pretty certain it's related to the connection problems I had with my chip. I took extra precautions this time when putting it back in.

I used to get a CEL on the highway as well. I'll be curious to see if it re-appears since I got the chip re-programmed.

Dang, I'm still jealous about the look of your Sport since you put the wheels on. I won't be able to keep up with that one. ;)

I just left Annapolis. Some down town traffic, which leads onto a half
mile on ramp onto the interstate.
There was this Impala who heard the throaty rumble of my Explorer and took it as
an invatation to play.
Let me just say. There is NOTHING wrong with that 87 perf program.
Very choppy and agressive. Plenty of punch right where you need it and doesn't
mind 95 mph one single bit.
Bama's 87 performance program is significantly more agressive than Aptens.

( save the flaming, I did not, nor will I ever go 95 in ANY traffic or in any down town area )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back