My battery keeps going dead. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My battery keeps going dead.

dj.don

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sporttrac new battery goes dead after 4 to 5 days, put test light on positive cable and positive post took every fuse out light stayed on.can anybody help me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be the alternator since its directly connected remove the bat + terminal on the alt with the testlight connected and see if it goes dark. if that doesnt help it could be a really bad short out somewhere

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed your thread, and moved it into the 2001-2005 Sport Trac section. Use an ammeter to see how much current is being drawn with the engine off. Test your voltage with the vehicle running. It should be around 14.7 volts.

what kind of electrical mods/addons have you done if any?

If you are using a filament style test light and there is enough to keep the lamp on then you have an awesome draw. Find the box that's still warm. Plus you need to let the truck go to sleep. When first turned off or when first reconnected through the testlight the amperage will spike because your waking up your modules.
You really need a digital meter and about 30 minutes to let the thing just sit, while connected and measuring then after 30 minutes look at what the draw is. If it's over .050A then start pulling fuses.

high beam icon stays on no high beam just low beam

Back