My engine sounds like it has a turbo.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My engine sounds like it has a turbo....

Ray_2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer XLT
I've looked all over this forum, but never found the answer. My engine, 2009 4.0, sounds as though it has a turbo - even at idle.

I've looked all over, but can not isolate the high pitch whine (LOL, my sonn thinks it sounds cool). I don't hear it at higher speeds because of all the other noise (road, wind, etc.), but at idle or slow speeds, you can't miss it (it's especially noticeable in the drive-thru lane of fast food since the walls tend to echo it back).

TIA for any help.

Unplug the 3 wire connector on the alternator and see if it goes away or changes. If not then take the belt off to spin the pulleys by hand.

Unplug the 3 wire connector on the alternator and see if it goes away or changes. If not then take the belt off to spin the pulleys by hand.
Thanks, I'll try the alternator connector, but LOL, ain't taking off the belt. It's been that way since I got it 4 years ago as a CPO (had 39k miles). I usually take it to Ford for "The Works" oil change/inspection, so I'd think they'd tell me if there was something they could get money out of me for. ;-)

Back