My Ex won't seem to stay charged{battery} | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Ex won't seem to stay charged{battery}

UKExploder

Reaction score
City, State
near Liverpool,in the Wirral {England}
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Limited, US spec.
Hi mates,
My battery ran down a while back so I had another good battery, so I put it in. It started the truck for a few times and went dead. It's then that I found a bad ground cable end, so I replaced it & jump started the truck.....it started a few times, then the battery seemed dead again, no interior lights or anything....I found then the 'hot' cable was loose, tightened it, jump started the truck again & left it running for 30 minutes.....went out a few days later to start it & battery semingly is dead again......It was made in Canada so the headlights are always on a real low beam somehow..and I found the switch for the fog lights was on {fog lights not on truck right now tho'}....could this be why the alternator didn't charge it back up in 30 minutes?:confused: Please help me figure this one out some1.....I'm pullin' my hair here.....:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

alternators are not good at charging a dead battery.

use a batt. charger for that.

i would say you probably need a new battery.

Chances are its the alternator.. A good way to tell is to get it started and then pull the negative battery.. If it shuts off then its the alternator.. Since your in the UK, the alternator will probably cost a good chunk of change..

I have a good alternnator from my 1992 less than a year old, if you want it let me know!

I have a good alternnator from my 1992 less than a year old, if you want it let me know!

Jump it again and see if you are getting around 14 Volts at your battery. Then you know the alternator is charging.

It sounds like this 'X' is not your daily driver, you can pull the fuses out, wait a few days then put the fuses in and see if the battery held a charge, if it did then you know something is draining the battery within the car. put a meter on the battery and see if the voltage is going down. If it is, pull a fuse at a time until the battery stops draining. Find out what that fuse was, ther elies your problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm now gonna try each one, one at a time & hopefully figure out what my problem is, keep hold of that alternator dykzeulb, and btw, what do you want for it, shipping & all, shipping may be what would make it not feasible :) , long ways from here to KCMO.....;)....I live near Liverpool....England...:)

Back