1994 XLT 4x4 Battery Light Stays On | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 XLT 4x4 Battery Light Stays On

micklskot

Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Thanks in advance for assistance.

My Explorer starts, but a few days ago it wouldn't after I got home from an excursion. I noticed that the battery (alternator?) light was ON. Today, I went to start it after cleaning the posts and checking the cables. The cables seem OK, but with the mileage I have on it, they could probably be changed. I've been told by a mechanic that this can be difficult and was quoted about $200.00 which seemed like a lot to me to change cables. The battery is brand new about 2 months old.

I checked the voltage with the truck off and got 11.5 volts on the posts. When I started the truck, the voltage dropped to 11 volts, and after a few minutes, with the truck started, I didn't get any voltage reading. Seems like it definitely is the alternator to me. I also checked the fuses and they were good.

I have a manual and from what I read, I should be seeing about 12.5 volts when the truck is running.

Does this sound like the alternator to you all?

Thanks for responses and help......

Yeah, I was pretty confident that it's the alternator, but just wanted to get some feedback in case I was missing something else.

Thanks for the reply.

$200 to replace the battery cables? christ, you can buy them at advance for $7 a piece and it isnt that hard to replace them. wow. thats alot of money for such little work.

Back