My Explorer doesn't switch into 4WD. Is this a common problem? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer doesn't switch into 4WD. Is this a common problem?

BigJimGunbarrel

Reaction score
City, State
Boulder, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I have found this web site to be extremely valuable in solving problems with my family's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4-door. The SUV has over 250K and is going strong. My son got a new stereo for Christmas, and a Best Buy technician installed it for $200. About a month later he had to use the 4WD for a snow storm going back to school in Laramie, Wyoming for the first time since the installation. I thought the problem was the shift or transfer case motor. After all, the control module passed the test described on the web site, the manual hubs passed their test, so it had to be the shift motor. It looked rusted, so I bought a new OEM one for $85 + shipping. I installed it, but the 4WD drive LED didn't go on and the 4WD didn't engaged. Using a putty knife, I removed the cover for the switch and a center vent, I expose the switch for viewing. To my shock (actually no surprise here) the Best Buy technician didn't re-attached the cable to the 4WD switch above the radio. LOL. I connected the harass to the switch, and the problem was solved. I didn't see this particular problem discussed, but I bet it is a common one. I feel somewhat stupid, because I didn't connect the two events together. I hope this helps others.

G'day and welcome, nothing worse than half arsed workmanship mate. Glad you got it sorted tho'. No need for you to feel stupid because of someone else's stupid mistake.:):thumbsup:

G'day and welcome, nothing worse than half arsed workmanship mate. Glad you got it sorted tho'. No need for you to feel stupid because of someone else's stupid mistake.:):thumbsup:
lynchy wa

Thanks for the words of encouragement, mate. Nice set of wheels, I like the iron in the front for roo's protection. I could use something like that for the wild elk and deer here in Colorado. We have been to Australia about six times, love the Melbourne area, but never been to the western parts. -BigJimGunbarrel

Back