my first car, 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my first car, 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

Here's the info: 2010 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 V6 SOHC. I currently live in Belton, Missouri. I Bought the explorer off of my grandpa, so i know that it wasn't driven hard over the years. It has 127,000 miles on it, and the only current issues are a possible vacuum leak and a broken fuel gauge. I might eventually get the fuel gauge fixed, but i don't exactly want to spend a ton of money on the problem when i can keep track of my fuel usage just fine using the trip meter. As far as features, other than 4x4 there really isn't much, its pretty close to the base package if i were to guess. All i have done to it so far is remove some unnecessary badges on the tailgate and remove the running boards (which made it look way cooler.) My plans are to get new headlight housing, a new grille, get my wheels painted black and maybe lift it a little bit.
9d-1&k=7cWCkN3axaYKlsuDYWelAg&ckc=com.apple.photos.jpg
12-1&k=ZPYgKXAWK9U8D84CQB5p3A&ckc=com.apple.photos.jpg
ac-1&k=FH_geRm27NDSmHBa5Uo_tA&ckc=com.apple.photos.jpg
NNjSent.jpg
dr9Q0xG.jpg
ftnHSYm.jpg
zHiJtwV.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d change all of fluids, especially the transfer case and differentials. Also, the brake fluid is definitely due for a flush, if it’s never been done.

id also look into the hydraulic tensioners since its a sohc. nice truck man!

@xplror What @Mbrooks420 and @Fix4Dirt said. Fuel gauge issue could be an electrical disconnection somewhere, or a broken float (my bro had a '08 F150 where the float broke). If that's what it is, you... could... fix that one yourself, but it wouldn't be fun.

Looks like she's in great shape! Treat her nice, son!

It does look like it was taken care of. Keeping up with everything will go a long way.

Maintenance and preventive stuff isn’t fun, but it is satisfying to turn 250k in a vehicle that’s long paid for.

Maintenance and preventive stuff isn’t fun, but it is satisfying to turn 250k in a vehicle that’s long paid for.
even better yet 300k, next milestone is 350, have rolled over 325 alr

Welcome aboard. Make sure to drop the transmission pan, replace the filter and refill. Repeat this every 40k-50k miles. You have a 5R55 transmission and they need all the help they can get to live a long life. The previous advice given to replace ALL fluids is something I repeat. This is one of the single best things you can do to limit future major repairs.

IMG_4030.jpg
Update: me and my father installed a front license mount and put two 6” fog lights on it. I think it looks pretty good. Of course, these are very cheap, sort of crappy things (the lights aren’t even that bright and the license plate mount, despite looking durable, is weightless and hollow and would melt in an accident). I have a summer job, so i should be able to get some more important and well-made stuff later this year. Oh and the lights aren’t currently wired because neither me nor my dad understood the wiring instructions. In other news, i removed the 4x4 badge on the back and will be replacing the stock Explorer badge with a first gen one.

Back