• Register Today It's free!

My Free 89 BII

Free89BroncoII

Reaction score
City, State
Bremerton WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1989 Bronco II
Ok.....I decided to post my build up here and see what everyone thinks.

I recieved this BII for free from it's original owner in excellent shape. Here is what she looked like upon getting her home.

sidebronco.jpg

dbe3d62c.jpg

bronco.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Soon after getting her home she got some clear corner lenses and a 3" Performance body lift.

lift001.jpg

lift002.jpg

that is a clean truck for free!!

If you come across any more let me know! hahaha

Next on the list was a 4" Lift Kit. Now I had never done a lift before but besides being a little time consuming, not really that bad. For wheels and tires I went with 15x10 Unique Street Locks with Super Swamper 33x13.5x15 LTB's

941bdeee.jpg

e6db2087.jpg

455b81e1.jpg

5b37e55e.jpg

Next on the list was a Midland CB. I mounted the antenna right off the spare carrier and CB under the dash.

CBAntenneMount.jpg

MidlandCB.jpg

FullCB.jpg

I had ordered a steering stabilizer that was on back order for 2 weeks, when she arrived she was on in no time.

SteeringStabilizer.jpg

Now not being a big fan of chrome bumpers, I had decided to buy a JD front bumper and had actually found a rear in a classifieds section. I test fit it to get it where I wanted it to sit, then primer, and paint.

BumperFit002.jpg

BumperPrime1.jpg

BumperPaint1.jpg

BumperPaint2.jpg

Wait a minute, you got a free B2 4x4 and it's not even a rust bucket, what the crap! Nice one man!

That looks really nice and it makes those 33's look small!

Shorty after the front bumper was complete I bought a Surco roof rack and a Hi-Lift Jack to bolt up in her. I also used a prop to hold the rear bumper to fill the body lift and make rear bumper templates.

Bumper001.jpg

RoofRack002.jpg

RoofRack003.jpg

Your camber is +
If you get that fixed it will drive 100 times better, handling wise.
Your tires are not going to last at all with + camber and the bump steer is horrible.

I assume you have installed alignment shims already?

It is possible you will not be able to get the camber corrected to 0 without the use of taller axle pivot drop brackets.

Can we see some details on your 4" lift?

I put my cb antennea is a very similar spot
Plan to beef up the rear tire carrier/swing and re-enforce the fiberglass on the hatch catch piece, with a 33" it will rip the fiberglass and bounce all over the place.

Get that rear bumper on! the Duff bumpers are awesome, my rear has been hit by two cars and MANY rock ledges, it also tows the boat/anything nicely, with a body lift and bumper brackets dont try this or be really careful! (depends on the brackting you come up with). I see extended radius arms in your future, and gears.

Gorgeous BII, now I know what it looks like with round lights on the top tabs, thanks! (I have KC square ones that will go there with a quick release)

This is when disaster struck. First full day on the road and the motor decided it was time to retire. Option 1....rebuild, or option 2....5.0. Hmmmm......

So, I bought a longblock 5.0 out of a 92 Stang GT and decided to do a full build. I am still in the process of this build but heres what I so far. 92 5.0 Block and crank, Forged pistons, Edelbrock Heads, Edelbrock intake, Holley Truck Avenger Carb, MSD ignition, Duff Headers, and so on

46d7c3af.jpg

c7ac5671.jpg

timing.jpg

what trans and T case will you run?
How long is all this taking?

You are going to love the V8 BII, I am guessing you aready know your stock axles may not hold up very long

Here's where we are right now. I pulled the gauge assembly and gutted the factory gauges. I now have bought all Autometer gauges, speedo, tach, fuel, volt, oil pressure, water temp, and trans temp. I'm getting ready to build the gauges along with a pillar for the extra gauges. I'm also getting ready to pull the frame to spray it with POR-15 that I have left over from another job. As far as the alignment...thats as fas as she goes. Since I have to pull the chassis Im looking for some 6" front brackets if anyone knows where to locate some. I'm getting ready to take vacation to get some more done so I will get some new pics up very soon....

what trans and T case will you run?
How long is all this taking?

You are going to love the V8 BII, I am guessing you aready know your stock axles may not hold up very long

Right now I have a Dana 35 and a 8.8 with 4.10 gears waiting for me to pull the chassis. As for trans and t-case I have a C4 and am looking for a Dana 20 to buy. As for time, it took about 4 months to get this far....financially things have slowed down a little but are picking up again.

I have seen pivot brackets for sale on this forum.

Here's how the TTB works
You can use 4" brackets with a 5.5 or soft 6" coil, use the max degree shims to correct camber
you can use 6" brackets with a 8" coil

You have to be careful here because many 4" lift kits actually come with a 2" drop bracket (measured compared to factory) and rely on shims to correct camber, so putting a 6" coil on some 4" brackets will still leave you with + camber and no way to correct it.

With the C5 and dana 20 its going to be a monster, I figure you will install a low gear set in the dana 20?

I plan to convert my current BW 1354 to a dana 20 twin stick eventually, this requires me to convert my auto trans output, again hahaha

You are building a monster, nice!

Wait a minute, you got a free B2 4x4 and it's not even a rust bucket, what the crap! Nice one man!

That looks really nice and it makes those 33's look small!

Thanks Josh....for some reason I come across BII alot. I can't wait to get this done due to I want an X with plans of a SAS....straight trail rig.

I have seen pivot brackets for sale on this forum.

Here's how the TTB works
You can use 4" brackets with a 5.5 or soft 6" coil, use the max degree shims to correct camber
you can use 6" brackets with a 8" coil

You have to be careful here because many 4" lift kits actually come with a 2" drop bracket (measured compared to factory) and rely on shims to correct camber, so putting a 6" coil on some 4" brackets will still leave you with + camber and no way to correct it.

With the C5 and dana 20 its going to be a monster, I figure you will install a low gear set in the dana 20?

I plan to convert my current BW 1354 to a dana 20 twin stick eventually, this requires me to convert my auto trans output, again hahaha

You are building a monster, nice!

Thanks 410....

I'm looking for true 6" brackets so I can get a little more lift. I know the 5.0 won't weigh the front too bad and I also need to do some work on the rear.....bad leafs. As far as the t-case, yes, low gear and twin sticks.

Cool! :biggthump Looking forward to the rest of the build!

my front end sagged about .5" with the 5.0 over the 4.0L I figure its mostly because I have a full size transmission and I run soft Skyjacker 6" coils (350 psi)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, my plans are to run 6" brackets up front, but still unsure of the coils I will be using.

Back