• Register Today It's free!

My Latest Creation

C5 Greg

Reaction score
City, State
Millstone, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT SOHC
Well, I'm almost done with my install. I bought my X about a month ago, and after listening to the factory setup for a week, I decided to upgrade. I hadn’t done a system in about 7 years, so I had to research everything again. (half the fun) After some shopping, I decided I wanted to go with the following setup:

Alpine CD
Alpine EQ with Sub Controller
Image Dynamics 6 ½ coaxials in all 4 doors
2 JL Audio 10” Subs
2 Custom made removable sealed boxes for the subs
Custom made disconnect box for the subs
Rockford Fosgate Power 400.4 Amp
4 ga Lightning Audio power wire/ ANL Fuse Holder
Phoenix Gold RCA & Monster Cable speaker wire
Sound dampening material for the doors

Estimated system power:
Front – 75 X 2
Rear – 15 X 2
Subs – 300 X 1
Total power should be just under 500 watts rms.

I wanted a stealth install, as well as the ability to remove the subs, and fold the seats flat for when I needed to use the truck like, well…a truck.

I decided to put the amp in the location where the storage compartment is in the back right panel of the truck. After removing the back panel, I mounted a plywood board to hold the amp. I used cardboard to develop a template. The RF fit in nicely, allowing me space to adjust the gains, as well as check on the cables after the panel went back on. The speakers were installed in the factory locations with mounting plates made out of plywood. All four doors were completely covered with sound dampening material. The rear speakers are powered off of the H.U., using the factory wiring. The front speakers are wired to the amp. The driver’s side door was a real pain. I had to drill a hole in the door to pass the speaker wire through. Running the power wire was another PITA. I wound up hitting the wiring harness under the dash while drilling, of all things, a pilot hole… to make sure I didn’t hit anything! Oh well, I repaired the damaged wires, and every thing works, so no harm done. I am still waiting for the subs to come in. Apparently 8 ohm subs are a special order, so I have to wait until next week to install them. I chose to make 2 enclosures so removal wouldn’t be a backbreaking chore. The subs will be tied down to the cargo hooks on the floor. They sit under the cargo cover, so when it is closed, you won’t be able to see them. The distribution box I made for the subs sits under the rear seat. It takes the single speaker lead and breaks it up to 2 pairs of terminal plugs (one for each sub). This will allow me to quickly unplug and remove the subs.

The amp has plenty of power, and the sound quality is excellent, very clean. I like the Image Dynamics speakers, however I still need to spend some time adjusting the x-overs and the EQ. I’m going to wait until the subs are in for the final tuning. With the EQ defeated, Puff Daddy sounds great but Sting is a bit bright. Jazz sounds awesome! I can’t wait for the subs! Bridged at 4 ohms, the amp should put about 300 watts rms into the subs, creating a nice thump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a nice upgrade. what Jl subs did you get? W3? W1?

I went with the 10w0. I was leaning towards the w3, but considering each sub will only get about 150 watts, the w0's seemed to be the best bet.

Cost wise, the w3's were $105 ea vs. $75 for the w0, so not a huge difference (I spent more than the $60 difference in power wire!), however I didn't have the want or need for DVC or require the extra power handling ability.

that's cool. enjoy your new setup:)

but if you got the JLW3s with dual 4 ohm voice coils, you could wire them as 8 ohm subs. i only mention this since you said that you bought the 8 ohm models.

i'm sure it'll sound great. Alpine, JL, Image Dynamics, and RF are all great choices.

Why would you choose to wire them as 8 ohm vs. 4 ohm vs. 2 ohm? I just got my new audiobahn dual voice coil sub and am wondering which way I'm going to wire it. I'm driving it with an audiobahn A2300E amp (210w x 1).

KMac,

I wanted to run 2 subs at a 4 ohm load off of a bridged channel. There are a few ways to do this. As leenjen said, I could have used 2 DVC 4 ohm per coil Subs, or the way I chose, 2 8 ohm SVC subs. (plus a few more options)

2 8 ohm subs will show the amp a 4 ohm load. This is what I wanted to show the bridged channel of my Rockford Fosgate. If I had run 2 4 ohm subs (2 ohm load), I would have over driven the amp.

What it comes down to is the type of amp you are running, how you want to run it, and what type of sub setup you want.

It is very possible to run 3 cones off of a single bridged channel and not show the amp less than a 4 ohm load by using 12 ohm SVC subs.

Post your equipment or wish list, and I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions on possible installation options.

Back