My NEW gauges!!!

MO_GUY

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Farber, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explo Sport 4.0 SOHC
Well I finally got my gauges in the mail and here's what they look like.

Dead Link Removed

Thanks to BrandonA4U for telling me where to get them. I think they ended up being about $35 or something like that from the seller "Autobacs1" on eBay. These are reverse indiglo gauges. I am installing them probably later tonight unless I run into a problem getting the dash apart. Will have install pics later tonight or tomorrow. Wish me luck!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Enjoy, same ones I've got, prepare to be patient lining them up, and buy some doublestick tape before you start!

why do i need double stick tape? reply asap. gotta get going over to a friends house.....i can stop by the store on the way over

Well its about time. I was begining to wonder if you were dreaming about these things:D Good luck with the install.

He doesn't seem to have any 95-97 with tach up right now, wonder if he has them at all.

Waiting for night pics, thanks!

I read on the dakota board that by using the stick tape keeps them from sliping when you line them up. I think that is probibaly what he was saying.

Alec, you can email him

Autobacs1@hotmail.com

may take a day or so to get an answer but he'll definately get back to you

Well I guess I'll just get some while I'm out anyways.....I'll post later with night pics hopefully.....

Doublestick tape so that you can tack them down. The doublesided tape helps because you can get it down at the base of the guages so your guage needles dont stick.... and its clean.
Also, if you want to color your needles, buy some transparency markers so you can retry if you screw up.
Good luck, I hope that makes sense.

You do realize you slide these over the old needles and the old face of the dash right? Its not like you remove the needles and guage face and put these on. :D
The tape is very helpful... trust me!

Most of the time you do have to take the needles off. MO_GUY, if that is the case, use a fork to CAREFULLY pry the needles up. And yes, use double sided tape to make sure that your needles don't stick once you install them. It is a real pain to keep tearing your dash apart to tinker with the gauges.

In doing this (gauge mod) I assume you never have to worry about the bulbs going out? just a section of the gauges?

:fire: :fire: :fire: :fire: :fire:

i am not a happy camper

these things are a PITA to install

first i put on the 2 outside gauges, they lined up great

so then i started on the tach/speedo section.....boy this aggrivated(sp?) me ...i was messing with the needles for a good 3-1/2 to 4 hours and finally got them to where they weren't sticking, but then i took them out to the truck and started it up....at first i noticed the tach was reading 1000 RPM higher than it should and that both outside gauges were somehow moved just a tad and they were no longer lined up.....so now i've got a new mission for the week.........GETTING THESE DAMNED THINGS TO WORK!!

dont even get me started on where im going to mount the switch

easiest way to keep the needles from sticking.. Pry them up a little! Rather than fawkin around with the gauge faces for an hour..
and yes, re-setting the needles is a *****
My speedo is still off by ~10mph or so, and I have no clue if my tach is accurate :(

all the outer gauges should reset themselves once i get them unstuck.....my speedo is about 1-3 mph slow and my tach runs 1000 rpms too high, im not too worried about the tach as i have an auto tranny so i dont need to worry about when to shift

yeah I found out the other gauges reset themselves.. unless you remove the needles, tho prolly but I dunno? :rolleyes:

How'd you manage to fix your speedo?
All I did was turn the ignition to ON, and reset the needles at the needle stops.. Tach was readin high and that's why my speedo is off I thought? :confused:

this is what i was told for the tach

if you know what the RPMs should be at idle turn the truck on and let the needle rise, then take it off while still running, and then stick it where it should be....

yeah, I did that.. the needle looks okay.. it moves to ~850RPM at idle.. close to it anyway.
but what about the speedo?
since the damn gauge only goes as low as 10MPH, resetting it there when not moving makes it show 10MPH faster than you're goin :confused:

Not the same gauges, but had the same needle problem. Took forever to get the tach and speedo not to stick, trying to balance that and not havin a huge light leak. Once I figured on pullin then needles it only took two tries to get it right for me. With the ignition off I just put the needles on so they were resting on the stop.

My tach reads 1000 @ at idle, but whatever. I know its just about 200 rpms high.

I believe my speedo to be correct, or close enough anyhow. Mines always shown 3-4mph high anyway (according to those things on the side of the road).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is very informative. I was thinking of getting these, because they are cheap, and I like the looks of whte-faces gauges. After reading several threads, I don't think this mod is worth it to me -- even at $30. I don' think I want all the headaches to go along with the nice looks....

Back