my new system! i'm excited to set it up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

my new system! i'm excited to set it up

psychotic

Reaction score
City, State
Olathe, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
RIP: '02 V8 Limited 4WD
I'm pretty excited... I just ordered the rest of my new system (minus all the install stuff).

Heres is what i'll be running now:

Clarion DXZ935 Motorized Dual Action Detachable Face AM/FM CD Player

Audiobahn ALUM15Q Sound Q 15 Inch 1100 Watt RMS Subwoofer
A18001DT 600/1200/1800w Mono Amplifier(for 15")

2 - Audiobahn AW831T 8" NATURAL SOUND WOOFER
A2601T 2 channel amplifier (for the 2 8")

AB5002Q audiobahn 5.25" carbon components
A4002T - 100x2 audiobahn intake amp for components

ACX680P audiobahn 5x7/6x8 plate speakers
A2002T - 50x2 audiobahn intake amp for plate speakers.

I think I will use lightning audio power cable and RCAs, because I can get them cheap, an I have heard they are pretty reliable with installation equipment.

I have 50' of 14ga audiobahn speaker wire that I will use to wire all the speakers (the plates and components are already installed).

I will run one 0/1 gauge wire back to a fused distrubution block that will output four 4ga for the amps(however I'm not sure if lightning audio makes this distrubution block?).
Most likey the 2 biggest amps will each have a 1 farad lightning audio cap.

I'm going to try and make my own box, with the two 8" subs facing up, and the 15" facing rear. I have yet to figure out how/where I will mount the amps.

Let me know any suggestions you have on installation/powering these suckers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh and just another quick question... my current kenwood cd player skips b/c the bass hits so hard. is this a common problem with cd players? or is mine just going bad more (the internal amp is already messed up... only the preouts work now)

what are you doing with the Kenwood HU & the 12s?
I am interested, depending on price. Let me know. PeAcE

that system sounds great! i'm using components from the same family as those.

do you have aim? i'd like to chat about how your installing it and all the little details if you want. mine is almost done, i just like talking about this stuff.

my two 15s will not make my pioneer premier 650 skip and i've never had my old 4000 skip either. i think you need a new one thats better

mine hits pretty hard with 2 12 inch rockfords and mine never skips. so im not sure if theres a problem with ur hu or not maybe yours hits alot harder than mine. but i wouldnt think it should skip.

Will the box be a common enclosure for the 8's and the 15?. If so I would suggest to separate the sections for each subwoofer if you are not already doing this

I would also suggest a crossover/line driver for your system, as it sounds very nice at this point. did ya win the lottery or get a fat sponsorship??

Rattlesnake - My friend already called the 2 alpine 12s. As for the HU... right now its going to crap, however I think it is still underwarrenty. When I take it out, I'm taking it up to Circuit City, and if its under warrenty they'll either have to fix everything with it (the skipping, and the blown internal amp) or give me a new one. I'm thinking since that might be hard to fix, they'll just give me a new one. Then, I'll sell that new one at a pretty low price. When I get around to it, I'll let you know what happens.

Expo5.0 - My AIM is adumb1says go ahead and message me. I can do the "hook up" part of the install. However, I've never built a box or amp rack. I have plenty of tools to do it, but if you could shoot me some nice ideas or tips that would be great.

redrig - My friends camaro hits as hard as mine, and his HU has no problems. I think I just need to get it fixed.

Kevex - Yes I was planning on giving each sub its own sealed airspace (whatever the manufacturer recommends). And then joining it together so it looks like one big box.

davesexplorer - I might consider something like an equalizer later down the road as I'm installing. Didn't win a lottery or anything, just been saving money with nothin much to spend it on.

The low pass crossover on the A2601T is set so if I set it at 150hz, it plays from 150hz down. If I want it to play only the mid-bass frequencies, and not have it play the lower frequencies to be hanndled by the 15... what would I use?

hey if you still have some money burning a hole in your pocket (don't we all?? :rolleyes: ) i recommend looking into sirius satellite radio, especially given the flat terrain (or lack of terrain thereof ;) ). I have XM thru work, and i'm looking into having both in my truck. you'll never listen to radio, and possibly CD's in your truck ever again! :D :cool:

sounds like a very nice system and a fun project to do. take pictures

I decided on a head unit that plays mp3s instead of xm radio
burning 170 songs on a cd every month is cheaper than the xm fee

no doubt that it's cheaper that way, even without equipment cost! after all mine is a dealer demo so i didn't pay for anything :p

hopefully your not going for a sq system.... audiobhan amps and componets are o.k. but that sub is a spl sub it has no sq at all...well a little bit b ut dont expect it to have clean bass those mid bass driver sould help for sq

components are ok u can get some kcikers for the same price that would sound better but i see that u wanted a matching system ......

you should be fine tho....just dont expect it to have good sq..... itll be loud no doubt about that u could prolly hit like 150 with that sub in the right ported encloser...... so youll be able to compete even tho suv arent really spl vehicals sooooooooo u should like ti tho

Actually, I've heard the alumQ subs have great SQ. I'm not going all out SQ or SPL, but a happy medium.

Yea the Alum series subs are Auidobahn's SQ sub arnt they?

sounds like a great system. i just finished my audiobahn training on the 2003 product line and now have a chance to turn my explorer (or one of my other cars) into a demo vehicle for practically nothing. i'm really concidering it, but not sure what system i want to build. i know i definitely want to start with the in dash DVD with 7" widescreen, but beyond that there are so many choices. good luck with your new system :)

Back