• Register Today It's free!

My oil filter adapter is leaking.

Boise Dave

Reaction score
City, State
Boise, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0
Hello to all you Ford lovers. I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 119,000 miles and have developed one of those pesky oil leaks at the oil filter adapter, where it mates to the block. I was curious to see if other Explorer owners have had the same issue and that is what brought me to your site. I understand the 4.0 does have one main "O" ring in addition to 1 or 2 others which surround the bolt holes. Can anyone confirm this? This is my third one. The first was a 96 XLT 4.0 with over 160K trouble free miles then a 2004 XLS 4.0. I have not been so lucky with the 2000 - just had the transmission rebuilt but so far so good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a seep in my 98 when I first purchased it. It has stopped leaking though. I went to Ford and purchased the O'ring but Have not installed it. They show only 1 large O'ring part #3L2Z-6L621-AA.

Thanks Scucci

Scucci you got lucky with that leak fixing itself. I got to looking at that oil filter adapter yesterday and it would be a simple R&I if the damn exhaust manifold was not in the way. I guess I'm getting to old and croche:usa:ty to have the patience for this type of repair anymore and I think it will go to my mechanic friend for "O" ring replacement.

Mine's been leaking for probably 6 years now... I haven't gotten around to fixing it because it looks like it would be damn near impossible to get to without pulling the manifold. I can live with a couple drips of oil... I ain't pulling the manifold off in the truck just to fix it.

I've often wondered if a stubby box wrench would fit in there, or maybe even a crow's-foot wrench would do the trick?

Hello to all you Ford lovers. I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 119,000 miles and have developed one of those pesky oil leaks at the oil filter adapter, where it mates to the block. I was curious to see if other Explorer owners have had the same issue and that is what brought me to your site. I understand the 4.0 does have one main "O" ring in addition to 1 or 2 others which surround the bolt holes. Can anyone confirm this? This is my third one. The first was a 96 XLT 4.0 with over 160K trouble free miles then a 2004 XLS 4.0. I have not been so lucky with the 2000 - just had the transmission rebuilt but so far so good.
Check to make sure the old gasket didn't get stuck. Sometimes it happens then the new filter goes on and causes the leak.

Back