• Register Today It's free!

SOHC oil filter adapter leak

greg s

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4wd sohc Explorer
I have a 1997 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC engine that has a leak at the oil filter adapter area. I searched the forums and found different information about the seals and a TSB about the porosity problem. My question is whether the TSB would go back to a 97 model? It seems like the TSB is for the 2002-2004 models but I cant confirm that. Basically I want to make sure I have all the parts needed to repair it since I have to take off the exhaust to access it. Currently the adapter is oily and I get a small amount that runs down the back side of the oil filter and drips on the cat. But I cant tell for sure exactly where its leaking from. The adapter is in the $100 price range and I dont want to buy it if I dont need it.

It's been a while since I've looked at this area of the SOHC engine but I think that "adapter" has an O-ring/gasket on the side that mates to the engine. If the said adapter is indeed leaking, then you probably just need to replace that O-ring/gasket - which shouldnt be more than a few dollars.

Related thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278722

Yeah I figure the gasket and o-ring are hard like a rock. But I am looking specifically for anyone that has had the problem with the casting being porus and oil leaking oil thru it. I have seen references to newer ones (2000+) but cant find any info if it applies to the earlier models. Thanks

Back