• Register Today It's free!

My Own Front End Noise

scribsac

Reaction score
City, State
Circleville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4
I know that there are many posts in this forum concerning some noise that someone has in their Explorer's front end. This is my story:

I took my Explorer, 2000 Sport 4x4 68k miles, in to my local Ford dealer for a noise in the front end. The noise is interesting. I hear it very faintly most of the time I am driving, although it is very clearly heard at certain very predictable times. I hear the noise very distinctly when slowing down and turning right. The worst is when I am traveling at 15-20 MPH, and if I turn right at this speed and hold that turn the noise will continue. It is a noise and feeling similar to what you feel when your brake pads are shot, not a squeal but a steady grinding/rubbing noise. But my brake pads are brand new and after my first trip to the Ford dealer they told me that they could not duplicate the noise.

So after a week I took my Explorer back and took a mechanic down the road and he could hear my noise. Ford took a look again and said that the left front wheel bearing was the problem. They replaced the hub assembly and sent me on my way (again). The statement they gave me said that the hub assembly had been fixed and that the tires were the cause of any remainder noise. HOWEVER, the noise has not subsided AT ALL, and my tires (all four) are brand spankin' new.

This is my best attempt at describing my problem on a message board. I know the official position of my Ford people - that the tires are to blame. Others close to me have suggested that it may just be one of those "noises" that cars just develop for no reason and never really hurt anything. I, however, have a hard time just settling when it comes to my Explorer. Does anybody have any further suggestions?

Back