My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

A recent trip to N Central Florida of 450 miles yielded 27.2 MPG.

The GPS said the average speed was 71.2. The Explorer was loaded with 4 adu;ts, 8 scuba tanks and the ancillary sive equipment.

Down from the 30 MPG running empty and slower, but still acceptable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

milage

I jsut ran a trip from lafayette In., to the smokey mountains to go backpacking in my 97XSport, I seemed to average about 17.5. Congrats on the 30 mpg though.

augie13

My last tank of gas yielded 14.2 mpg.

I expect you all to bow in my presence

:rolleyes:

You must have 2 wheek drive and what axel, 2.73 or something.
I could'nt get 30 mpg going over a cliff.
18 to 20 hgwy is my best.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
You must have 2 wheek drive and what axel, 2.73 or something.
I could'nt get 30 mpg going over a cliff.
18 to 20 hgwy is my best.

Indeed its a 2 wheel drive, but the rear is a 3.73.

I have a 2k road trip this weekend; it will be the first mileage test for the lowered truck and the Ansoil 0w30 oil.

I wish i got that kind of mileage. I get 250 miles out of my tank and that is highway driving and not going any faster then 70.

So wait.... going between 80-90 won't give you good gas mileage?!:rolleyes:

Al,

Keep us posted on the next road trip. I want to know where to place my next derrick to keep mine running. I'm sure OPEC loves all of us others. Conrats, btw. I'm pushing to get 25 on the highway and I've come close but I've got 3.07 gearing on 2wd.

Back from the 2k road trip, Results……..
All data from GPS
Average speed – 71.8 ( including some slow I85 traffic in Atlanta and some dirt road time
Average MPG – 25.7

First long trip with the lowering kit installed; overall, this is the best mod yet. The handling was terrific.

Note" the AC was off during the Georgia portion of the trip, its damn cold there yet.

Originally posted by aldive
Note" the AC was off during the Georgia portion of the trip, its damn cold there yet.

Your tellin me! It was 43 degrees when I woke up this morning!!! :mad:

Originally posted by aldive

Remember guys, I am over twice your age also and that has a lot to do with driving style and subsequest mileage.

My son, age 29 drives my truck the same trip as I do and he gets at best 23 MPG on the highway.

You say the best your son gets is 23 on the highway but you get at best 32. So can you enlighten us youngsters how we should drive for better MPG. Like acceleration, top speed, windows, A/C, vent, etc...

Originally posted by ok89
So can you enlighten us youngsters how we should drive for better MPG. Like acceleration, top speed, windows, A/C, vent, etc...

I drive with windows up always, most often with AC on,

I do not race to get on/off the highway ramps. I use cruise control always ( highway ).

The key is smooth and steady as she goes.

Just got back from a trip to the ranch near Atlanta.

The trip up ( 534 moles ) resulted in 30,25 MPG and the return trip ( 514 miles ) resulted in 28,8 MPG.

Its great to get over 500 miles on a tank.......

Note: all this travel was in 94 F plus temperature.

what speed do you keep cruise control on?

The average speed, determined via GPS on the trip up was 67.3 MPH ( die to horrible rain ) and on the return 70.6 MPH.

87.3?!?!??!?!? and you get 30 mpg. Thats amazing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

speaking of typo's............

I wanted good mileage and I get it in my nice bug truck. I am pleased.....

that was a funny typo, AL

btw, how do you get the quotes to include the "originally posted by" line?

Back