My quest for LED high mount brake light. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My quest for LED high mount brake light.

I've been looking for an aftermarket LED high mount brake light for my '04. I had one on my Ranger with a smoked lense and it looked so much better. Unfortunately nobody seems to make them for Explorers. I've read posts on how to do an LED conversion but not looking to do that. I did call Recon which is a maker of LED brake lights and the guy iI spoke to said he would tell the owners that there is somewhat of a demand for these. I figured if anyone else is interested in this they could call also and the more calls they get hopefully the better chance that they'll design one. The toll-free number for Recon is 1-877-37(RECON). So I ask that if anyone else is interested in these please call them and tell them that you'd like to see LED high mount brake lights for Explorers offered. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just sent an email to them. if they don't reply within the next couple of days i will call them for sure! i really don't understand why they make 3rd brake lights for every ford model EXCEPT explorers (non sport trac) makes no sense.

Thats weird, I could've sworn they were already LED's stock starting from I think 97.

I just sent them an e-mail as well requesting a 3rd gen brake light

Nope. '97 was actually NEON. They dumped that in, I think '98 or '99, hopefully because it is insanely expensive. I took mine apart and converted it to LED. I am working on another because the LEDs I got are directional, and the lamp on mine sorta points UP, so it's not as bright as I'd like. I found some flexible LED strips at Harbor Freight for $10 each, and it looks like those will work too, and will be easier to build the new lamp with. One strip would probably fit in a 3rd gen. It'll take 2 to cover mine.

Nope. '97 was actually NEON. They dumped that in, I think '98 or '99, hopefully because it is insanely expensive. I took mine apart and converted it to LED. I am working on another because the LEDs I got are directional, and the lamp on mine sorta points UP, so it's not as bright as I'd like. I found some flexible LED strips at Harbor Freight for $10 each, and it looks like those will work too, and will be easier to build the new lamp with. One strip would probably fit in a 3rd gen. It'll take 2 to cover mine.

man let me know how that strip works for you, because i might have to go pick one of those strips up from harbor freight and try it out if you're succesful.

thanks!

here's an idea
how about we all call and email numerous times making it appear that theres a very high demand for this?!

I've got the strip, and took the lamp apart. It'll work. I tried it out last weekend. It's not going to be a sharp light from each LED, but it'll be pretty bright. The Discrete LEDs I bought, which I used for the one on my truck now, which I made myself, are much more defined because the LEDs have a smaller viewing angle. Check it out here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146303&highlight=brake+lamp

Back