'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild"

'97 high-mount brake light "rebuild" FINALLY DONE!

EDIT: Adding the details to the first post now that the project is finished.

OK, I finally got tired of trying to figure out this stupid 21" neon high-mount brake light problem, and in the process ended up with two lamp assemblies. So, after searching for the best fix, I finally decided to gut one of the assemblies, and build by own LED array to put inside it. Here is what I did ....

• After removing the assembly from the truck, and the lamp from the assembly, I baked the lamp in the oven at about 200-250 for 15-20 minutes, or just long enough to be able to "peal" off the lens. After doing that, removing the neon lamp, and cleaning it up, here is what I had.
DSCN3595.jpg

• Here is the assembly after being baked, and cleaned up, and the neon lamp removed, with some measurements shown:
explorer_third_brake_lamp.jpg

• Next, I had to find some LEDs. I finally found some that would work and purchased them from Super Bright LEDs:
  • I ended up settling on the 8 candella RED (RL5-R8030), but after seeing it all done, I'd probably go with the 12 candella if I did it again (RL5-R12008), as they are brighter, and have a sharper viewing angle. You can always tone down the brightness if it is too bright, and although I could brighten mine up a bit, it would mean less protection for the LEDs.
  • Next I found a piece of breadboard to mount the LEDs to. You can probably find something at Radio Shack, but you might have to make a two piece array, depending on the size you get, and how long you actually want your array to be. Notice in the image above that the assembly is about 3/4" tall, but since the back of the housing is curved, the array needs to be thinner than that so that it can fit comfortably down inside, so the lens does not hit the LEDs.
  • I cut the breadboard so that it would fit inside the housing. When doing this, measure carefully so that the breadboard will fit down inside the housing, otherwise the LEDs will touch the lens and you'll have trouble putting it back together. Learn from me - I had to do a lot of fine tuning to get everything assembled.
  • After determining how many LEDs I wanted, and how far apart they should be, I placed the leads through the breadboard and glued them in place. Be sure they are pushed down all the way, and are flat, or your LEDs won't line up perfectly, which is easy to see with these small viewing angle LEDs.
  • Next, I soldered the LEDs and resistors to make the arrays. I have 3 arrays of 5 LEDs each. You can use this link to help determine the resistor size needed for each array:
  • Here is the LED array in progress. This was the dry run, before cutting the breadboard and glueing the LEDs.
DSCN3938.jpg

• After cutting, glueing, soldering, and wiring up the array, I was ready for the fine tuning, and fitting into the housing. Sorry, I forgot to take a picture of that, but you get the idea.
  • I searched high and low for just the right glue to use, but in the end I just used hot glue on the array, and clear RTV to glue the array into the housing, seal any extra holes (I brought both wires out a single hole), and glue the lens back on. I also used electrical tape to hold stuff together while it was drying. I did it in stages and let everything fully dry before I put the lens back on.
  • Here is a BAD picture of the array finished, and everything dry fit.
DSCN4183.jpg

• And finally, with everything glued and dry, I took the plug off the old ballast and used that on the new LED array. Make sure you feed the wires through the hole in the tailgate before placing the plug on the wires (I had to go back and cut mine off again :rolleyes: )
  • After reinstalling on my truck, here is what it looks like.
DSCN4356.jpg

I hope this helps. Let me know if there are any questions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got a photo? Would be interested in seeing how it looks, since it is smaller than the OEM lamp.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

After I removed the ballast...I can't see how to remove the bulb. There is a single screw with nut in the center of the "hole" which the ballast covered..but the removal of the nut doesn't see to release anything. I'm hesitant about applying pressure to avoid breaking the lens. How do I get to the bulb?

After I removed the ballast...I can't see how to remove the bulb. There is a single screw with nut in the center of the "hole" which the ballast covered..but the removal of the nut doesn't see to release anything. I'm hesitant about applying pressure to avoid breaking the lens. How do I get to the bulb?

The aren two more nuts on each side hidden behind two large rubber plugs.

97 Eddie Bauer

The aren two more nuts on each side hidden behind two large rubber plugs.

After removing all 3 nuts and tapping/pushing on the 3 studs, I noticed that the outside lens seems to be held down by molding that wraps around to both sides of the vehicle on top. Does the molding have to come off too? Or does the lens somehow squeeze through the molding on the outside?

For a '97, the molding has to come off, per the Ford shop manual. Drill out 7 rivets (along the length of the molding) and remove one cap-nut on each end of the molding. The lamp and lens then pull out of the molding. I could post a scan of the manual pages for this, but the pictures are absolutely useless!

I was thinking about this, not because my neon brake light isn't working, but because drops of water show up inside the lens after it rains. Just figured that it is only a matter of time before it quits working.

Does anyone know - can the trim be held back down with sheet metal screws? The shop manual says to install 7 new rivets :mad:

For a '97, the molding has to come off, per the Ford shop manual. Drill out 7 rivets (along the length of the molding) and remove one cap-nut on each end of the molding. The lamp and lens then pull out of the molding. I could post a scan of the manual pages for this, but the pictures are absolutely useless!

I was thinking about this, not because my neon brake light isn't working, but because drops of water show up inside the lens after it rains. Just figured that it is only a matter of time before it quits working.

Does anyone know - can the trim be held back down with sheet metal screws? The shop manual says to install 7 new rivets :mad:

Thank you for your advice. This fix is not one of Ford's "Better Ideas", as it involves considerable time and effort just to replace a light bulb. I contacted a junk yard in Hackensack and spoke to someone who seemed to feel that in most cases, the ballast dies, not the bulb. So I will replace the ballast tomorrow with a used one for $35 and keep my fingers crossed. The spokesman at the junk yard also reitereated the same proceedure as you to replace the bulb. He said it was a real pain in the ass, but had bulbs in stock too, if I needed one..........Thanks again.

Thank you for your advice. This fix is not one of Ford's "Better Ideas", as it involves considerable time and effort just to replace a light bulb. I contacted a junk yard in Hackensack and spoke to someone who seemed to feel that in most cases, the ballast dies, not the bulb. So I will replace the ballast tomorrow with a used one for $35 and keep my fingers crossed. The spokesman at the junk yard also reitereated the same proceedure as you to replace the bulb. He said it was a real pain in the ass, but had bulbs in stock too, if I needed one..........Thanks again.

Just a follow-up. The mechanic at the junk yard was correct, as I had to just replace the old ballast with one he had pulled from a wreck. The original bulb was still good as he predicted. Used ballast cost me $35 and 5 minutes to pop in and put inside molding back. Works like a charm and went through inspection without a glitch.

maybe a dumb question, but my Explorer '96 doesn't have a 3rd brakelight :(
what's that about ?

maybe a dumb question, but my Explorer '96 doesn't have a 3rd brakelight :(
what's that about ?

Probably cause it is burnt out. It's there at the top of the rear hatch window.

Maybe since the Willemspark Explorers have the extra bumper lights, they couldn't have a third-brake light too.

Maybe since the Willemspark Explorers have the extra bumper lights, they couldn't have a third-brake light too.

willemspark explorer? i feel a bit like a noob here LOL
I've found another exactly the same Explorer on a site, and it also doesn't seem to have the 3rd stoplight....
weird...

willemspark explorer? i feel a bit like a noob here LOL
I've found another exactly the same Explorer on a site, and it also doesn't seem to have the 3rd stoplight....
weird...

I was referring to US Explorers. I dont know what the export Explorers have as Std. Equpit.

It is the brake light above the back window...referred to as the high mount brake light.
Pooe design by Ford..it is complicated to repair/replace, as you will see in reading other posts.

It is the brake light above the back window...referred to as the high mount brake light.
Pooe design by Ford..it is complicated to repair/replace, as you will see in reading other posts.

was this meant for me? i know what and where a 3rd stoplight is/should be...;)
i'm just curious on why my blue one doesn't have it at all.
Seems some other '96ers over here also lack this stoplight. :rolleyes:

the noob remark was about the Willemspark Explorer Bill mentioned ;-)

Thanks!!! this helped alot, i just bought some pre made led strips to do mine

if ya wanna see more picks of the install just ask!!

fxed_brake_light_by_echothewuf-d40hzl9.jpg
mamamam_by_echothewuf-d40hzyv.jpg

97 explorer 3rd brake light repair

Hey Macario, great looking repair. Just did a quick, LOL, repair to my third brake light to pass inspection, but would like to do the LED thing as you did. Where did you get the LED strip, local shop or online? Thanks for the great pics.

Just ordered a 30 LED strip from superbright so I can make a proper repair to my 3rd brake lamp, same price, $12.95 and about $3 to mail it.

Hey Macario, great looking repair. Just did a quick, LOL, repair to my third brake light to pass inspection, but would like to do the LED thing as you did. Where did you get the LED strip, local shop or online? Thanks for the great pics.

Just ordered a 30 LED strip from superbright so I can make a proper repair to my 3rd brake lamp, same price, $12.95 and about $3 to mail it.
I got the led's from autozone for about 20 dollars , i also soldered the balllast to neon connecters, as a quick connect, heres is some more pics, thanks for the compliment btw
the 30 led strip should be just fine, i do recommend you solder it, but its your descion, good luck with your third brake light venture!!

ldsfodfdfklsdkdfk_by_echothewuf-d4277jr.jpg

kldjfpasiudgfkjadfs_by_echothewuf-d4277hs.jpg
this is what i ment by quick connect

dsfasdgdefdsfgdsfg_by_echothewuf-d4278hf.jpg

menenen_by_echothewuf-d4277e8.jpg

lololloololololoololooloollo_by_echothewuf-d4278fo.jpg

ndfsknldfslndfskndfsknllds_by_echothewuf-d4277g9.jpg

here are some more pictures
if you have any other questions just ask :)

cool repair

I was getting ready to leave town for camp and thought, get my car inspected and real quick like get the new tags. Until the inspector failed me for the 3rd brake light. So I hurried home, disassembled it and installed a dome lamp bulb (the type that looks like a fuse with thin wire hoop on each end). I soldered some wire to the ends and, using slide connectors, connected it to the wires that I cut from the ballast. I had to convince the inspector that I had removed the glass tube and installed a single bulb in the center. He said ok, after all it works. I still want to fix it right and I checked the forum because some time back I remembered seeing a repair posted. Besides, who wants to pay $160 or more to fix this. Thanks again for the excellent pics. Really helpful, be blessed!:D

Back