Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
Well I have been wanting a new rear bumper to match my front bumper. Also I want to get my tire out of the cargo area. I have had a design in my head for about a year now and I decided to model it to see how everything would fit. Below are a few different views:

rear_bumper_assembly1.jpg

rear_bumper_assembly2.jpg

rear_bumper_assembly3.jpg

rear_bumper_assembly4.jpg

The hinge is in double shear to give it more support. Its a combination of what Bulletproof bumpers and Durango 4x4 bumpers use for their hinges. It uses a 1.25" bolt and rides on thrust bearings with a solid bushing inside the sleave. I didnt want to use a trailer spindle. When closed the end rests on two planes of cutting board material (I forgot the name) to fully support the weight. Right now I plan to use a cam latch with an extra positive lock lever. The tire is 31". The hi-lift and Jerry can placement are not final. The tire will be close to its current location.

Let me know what you guys think.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. How many are you making? You'll have lots of people asking for orders since Jefe won't fab his (says his neighbors complain about fab noises or something like that....)

Yeah that looks DAMN GOOD :thumbsup: I would love to see that design come to life, one of the better ones I have seen IMHO

looks sweet about the same flavor as what i have in mind but i'm going toward a double swing *shopping center parking lot friendly =)

It seems like a lot of work just for a 31" tire. I like the idea, and have seen other similar designs, but hope it's for a lot more than an almost stock tire. Sorry, I don't mean to be be mean, but someone has to ask the question.

I would imagine that this will support much more weight than a 31. I have similar plans....but I'm going to try and route my exhaust through the bumper for added clearance.

Arnie897 said:
...I'm going to try and route my exhaust through the bumper for added clearance.

?? Just a hole cut out the backside - or a side exit through the wrap around part ??

I'm interested to see what you do because I have been trying to figure out the same thing, but I think I need a side exit since I use a hitch-rack to carry a lot of stuff and I keep heating stuff up when I use it because of the rear-ward facing exhaust.

I'm going to try for two holes out the back. This won't happen for years probably. It will probably very close to what a steel rollpan would look like.

EBInterceptor said:
It seems like a lot of work just for a 31" tire. I like the idea, and have seen other similar designs, but hope it's for a lot more than an almost stock tire. Sorry, I don't mean to be be mean, but someone has to ask the question.

It is worth it for a few reasons-
-A 31 does not fit in the stock location any more and I am sick of it taking up space in the cargo area, I am always having to move it out of the way
-It can handle/is being built for up to a 39 (future mods)
-Integrated tow points in the rear (Shackles as pictured)
-Greater departure angle, I keep getting hung up on my rear hitch because it is too low

Looks good Brian, I just chacked out the Jeep's status. You get anymore done? Looks awesome so far!

Back