• Register Today It's free!

my sound system sucks!

JOFO17

Reaction score
City, State
SOUTH JERSEY
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EDDIE BAUER
I have a 96 EB Explorer with the 6 disc changer JBL system. It is totally stock and has a blown rear woofer, or maybe even a bad rear amp. Either way it pails in comparison to the teeth ratteling system that was in my Bronco. What can I do to upgrade this sound? can I put in a new head unit like a sony 50watt unit and still use my stock speakers and all other amps ect? Can I put in aftermarket speakers? Do the stock amps have to be bypassed? I have no clue what to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree
You can do all of those things, you can use or bypass the stock amp for the door speakers and or the sub

I personally chose to install a Kenwood CD player and a 5 channel JL amp mounted right in the back where the factory amp used to be, this allowed me to use the stock speaker wires to the door speakers, on my new 5 channel amp.
I am running diamond audio 5x7's in the doors, an Infinity 12" sub in a ported enclosure, and well it kicks ass

try a search, everything you need to know is here, including wiring diagrams for your stock system so you can decide whats the best route for you, from mild to wild

head unit first

If thats the case, I plan on removing the stock head unit and installing a 50 watt Sony unit. My only concern with that is.... will I still be able to still use the stock 6 disc changer with an aftermarket unit????? :exp:

my stereo sucks

I've been reading posts for the last hour or so......... and there is one thing I forgot to mention untill I read a similar problem.. My system didn't always suck. Back in the summer I reconnected the sub that the previous owner had disconnected, and it actually worked. (the previous owner had wires taped to the sub wires to go to a tube type sub enclosure). It finally had that base that was missing. But one day I was cranking it up and the sub dropped out and never came back. I seem to have lost all of the base sound from all the other speakers as well, and it just wont get real loud. Did I fry something? Anyway.. I'm still going to look into a new head unit. That's IF I can still use my stock 6 disc changer with it.

I am 99% sure there is an adapter for your "stock" cd changer to be used or controlled from a new aftermarket head unit

I would check

crutchfiled.com

Your Ford 6 disc changer I believe is actually a Pioneer? Panasonic? I cant remember but its not made by Ford!

Its funny that 410fortune says there is a part, I was gonna say I was 99% sure their isn't a part to connect the CD Changer (at least for our application).......maybe he knows something I don't but mine has been disconnected for 3 years.

You probably have 6x8 speakers like my Mounty does. I just bought some nice pioneers, threw in a Pioneer head unit and the sound difference was incredible. I also run two JBL 12's but if u just wanna start small to get some nice sound quality back, def. throw in the head unit and some door speakers first

........stereo sucks

Thanks for the help guys. I was pretty sure I could use my changer, but I knew someone would have an adapter for it. And as far as putting in a new head unit..... will I have to bypass any amps?? It would seem from what I've read , that the JBL rear unit is actualy the radio and tha amp. The sub amp is the other amp. Can I leave them inline and connected? Are there any changes I need to make or just plug and play? Forgive my audio ignorance:salute:

Find the wiring diagrams for your year and audio system, that will help you see whats all in there and how its wired

Its necessary IMO if you want to modify/add on or remove the factory setup but use some of its wiring

They are stickied on this site
I found mine, 96 XLT with CD and no sub, right here on the explorer forum, a few hours later I had my entire system installed

Last time I checked you could run most CD changers with an adapter/controller and an FM interface for your antennea, but I never tried to do this with a factory style changer only name brands

...sucks

Thanks 410.........And speaking of antennas, I read that the antennas on my year/model plug into the rear unit, and not the in dash unit. Is this true?:confused: And as far as modifications.......I keeping it simple....head unit and speakers. I'm on a LOW BUDGET. If I see smoke I'll just disconnect the battery:D

on my 96 the antennea was right there behind the deck

also one more thing.......kinda obvious but make sure your head unit is CD changer compatible, and at that, 6 CD changer compatible. If it has no function or way to change CD's its no use haha, Good Luck

that looks exactly like a harness i had to use for my 99 merc sable. could be wrong tho. i agree with 410 there is an adapter out there i believe metra makes one i used to work at a shop and i remember selling one to a customer with a mounty i just cant remember what the model # was i know it was somewhat hard to find. GL nro

Back