• Register Today It's free!

Mysterious Charge light blinks

fosterzcj

Reaction score
City, State
Nm
Year, Model & Trim Level
22 explorer base 2.3l
So I have a 22 explorer base 2.3l. The vehicle runs great, starts great. However every once and awhile about twice a month it has a weird starting issue. I start the vehicle and it idles around 1200RPM and then goes to 700 when warmed up. However when the RPM drops to warm idle the vehicle says "hill start assist fault" and the battery light blinks and the idle bounces from warm to cold idle exactly 3 times and with every drop to warm idle the battery light blinks so fast it was hard to tell what light it was at first. After the 3 blinks and idle bounces it stays at 1200 rpm until you put it in gear. But if you restart the car everything is fine. It's an Intermittent issue so not everything but the exact 3 battery light blinks tells me there is a reason for this. I don't not get a service charging system message and everything is fine otherwise. The dealer had never heard of it before and couldn't figure it out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I have a 22 explorer base 2.3l. The vehicle runs great, starts great. However every once and awhile about twice a month it has a weird starting issue. I start the vehicle and it idles around 1200RPM and then goes to 700 when warmed up. However when the RPM drops to warm idle the vehicle says "hill start assist fault" and the battery light blinks and the idle bounces from warm to cold idle exactly 3 times and with every drop to warm idle the battery light blinks so fast it was hard to tell what light it was at first. After the 3 blinks and idle bounces it stays at 1200 rpm until you put it in gear. But if you restart the car everything is fine. It's an Intermittent issue so not everything but the exact 3 battery light blinks tells me there is a reason for this. I don't not get a service charging system message and everything is fine otherwise. The dealer had never heard of it before and couldn't figure it out.

If the dealer can't figure it out, try another dealer if you can. Most likely it is a sensor acting up, or needs a software update of some sort.

So I take it that it's just mine then because the other dealership didn't know either

So I take it that it's just mine then because the other dealership didn't know either

These vehicles have a lot of sensors and a lot of control modules. Any random fault can occur, it's just a little bit of bad luck and potentially a faulty part. Two dealerships that can't solve the problem is unacceptable. They have channels to communicate with factory engineers to help resolve less common issues. If they are not doing that, you need to push harder. Also, generally speaking, they have about 3 attempts to repair the same issue under warranty. After that, you have more rights to a buy back or lemon law. But push harder on your service manager to help before you go saying anything more dramatic.

Do you have Forscan? I'd be surprised if something like that wouldn't trigger a code, even if the check engine light isn't on.

Lemon law here only takes effect within the first 500 miles or one week whichever is first new mexico has some pretty weak lemon laws. It had a check engine light once but the dealership reflashed it and no check engine light after that. It almost seems like a self battery test but voltage is fine an no issues otherwise.

New development we are yet again at the dealership this time for a one time grinding noise from a stop where the car didn't want to go forward. Of course happens to the wife and not me. So I'll post back with an answer once I get one. Warranties are a good thing.

So I called the dealership and they say everything checked out fine and the vehicle isn't doing any thing weird to them but they want to take it out for a cruise to see if they can duplicate the issue but so far looks like nothing. If it checks out I can pick it up tomorrow and I'll check back with developments incase anyone else has this trouble in the future.

So far the safety control module has been replaced but still don't have the vehicle back yet and original problems haven't been duplicated but that is what's new. Will reply once vehicle is back.

Does anyone know if me checking the vehicle for codes (refreshing the fordpass app for codes) while someone else is driving the car can cause any issues with the vehicle? In other words would too many (2) phones using fordpass at the same time cause problems? Update I still don't have the car yet its been almost 2 weeks and now the dealership says they're repairing airbag soldering as the incorrect soldier was used during manufacture. However still unable to replicate issues described on earlier posts.

No report yet. Repeated run around from dealership. Contacted ford customer service for buyback initiation.

Talk to the dealership about one of their service managers or top end techs drive your explorer for a few days to see if it happens to them. This is going to be your best option on finding a resolution.

They've put about 18miles on it. I authorized as much driving as needed to find the problem. I was told an airbag needed new soldering but I keep getting the "it'll be ready tomorrow" spiel. However long law grants them 2 more attempts at repair or 20 more days of downtime before it is buy back eligible. So we are still playing the hurry up and wait game. It's a shame as I really like the vehicle and want it fixed instead of replaced but I also can't keep riding in the trunk of an escape as I'm one seat short on the escape for the family size. But thank you for the reply though I do appreciate it.

So the vehicle was returned with 2 new airbags, a new Restraint Control Module, and non activated non lead solder on the RCM wire harness. The original complaint of the idle surge and battery light flash is still there about once every 2 weeks however I have found a pattern. If the vehicle sits for a long time (3 or more days) and if I am in and out of the vehicle several times locking and unlocking between trips that seems to be the trigger for the hill start assist unavailable/battery light flash. There is no message to service charging system and hill start assist is available usually within 4 to minutes of this hiccup. So no big deal there. Unable to duplicate the transmission grinding and slowing after take off and it's never happened while I drove it, just the wife who has priors with other vehicles. If there are any updates I will.post them here. A theory is that while sitting or repeatedly locking and unlocking the vehicle the state of charge drops below 70 percent giving the hill start assist issue but again professionals are unable to fix it or duplicate it.

Sounds like a battery issue.

Peter

That was my first thought but the dealership swears the battery is good. Probably because it's new enough they get to foot the bill.

So far almost 2 months since issue last happened. I'm gonna consider this one fixed. Will update if something else happens or problem returns. So to reiterate a RCM was replaced with a wire harnesses for RCM resoldered and 2 airbags replaced. Case closed for now.

Back