Mystery Hole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mystery Hole

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I am looking for a way to route a two way antenna cable from the back of the roof through the vehicle and coming out somewhere near the driver's side.

I found this hole with a rubber plug on the upper left side of the rear when the hatch is open. There is something that looks like fabric rolled up inside. Anyway, could this be a route to get an antenna cable from the back to the front?

THANK YOU for any information.

IMG_20210724_172954579.jpg

IMG_20210724_172852478.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am looking for a way to route a two way antenna cable from the back of the roof through the vehicle and coming out somewhere near the driver's side.

I found this hole with a rubber plug on the upper left side of the rear when the hatch is open. There is something that looks like fabric rolled up inside. Anyway, could this be a route to get an antenna cable from the back to the front?

THANK YOU for any information.

View attachment 340796

View attachment 340797
I’ve used this to wire a backup camera and rear dash cam. Only problem was I could never seal the hole I made in the grommet so water would always get in through there.

I’ve used this to wire a backup camera and rear dash cam. Only problem was I could never seal the hole I made in the grommet so water would always get in through there.
Thanks for the reply. Do you know what that rolled up material in there is?? Does that channel go all the way to the front pillar?

I

Thanks for the reply. Do you know what that rolled up material in there is?? Does that channel go all the way to the front pillar?

I
That I do not. Sry

Have you tried any of the Flex Seal products?

Peter

This hole is used for the power lift gate connector in equipped vehicles.

I install radios for a living. I always run the wiring under the headliner. You can go anywhere from there.

I install radios for a living. I always run the wiring under the headliner. You can go anywhere from there.
Drill a 3/4” hole in the roof, mount the antenna, run coax to desired location above headliner, you can go down eithe “A” pillar, terminate with your desired connector.

Back