• Register Today It's free!

Mystery Part?

Ram50Ron

Reaction score
City, State
San Juan Islands Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 B3000 4x4 Cab+ 5spd
Searched both Chilton and Haynes manuals as well as the Transmission/Differential Forum here for help but I came up empty....
I also Called Mazda and Ford Stealerships requesting they look up part numbers for ID but no help there either so I'm turning to you guys. This thread may need to be rerouted back to the "Ranger B-Series Forum" after getting some attention here.
My '96 B3000 Cab+ 4x4 Manual 5spd $500 Toy is progressing nicely but I haven't been able to find out which bolts are missing?
1) The four missing mounting bolts of the Vibration Damper to the BW1354M Transfer Case, I got a replacement damper online since mine was gone but no idea on what size the bolts should be(found the required torque of 25ft/lbs but not a Part # or size/dia/length/thread/case hardness for buying similar part since Stealership has been no help).
2) Similar situation involving the single mounting bolt missing from the flat metal "Dust Cover" to the lower/front area of the manual transmission where there is just a hole but the housing behind the hole is threaded? Stealership claims they can't identify the bolt part # or specific's (length/dia/thread/case hardness) for me to get from them or pick up from hardware if no longer available (as one part guy said was common for fasteners older than 8 years on our "Rigs").
3) Secondary Throttle Return Spring is listed as discontinued by Stealerships. Mine is broken so RPM's don't drop properly between shift's, any suggestions on replacing this? I was looking at potentially replacing the TB using a CNC machined adaptor plate that allows bolting a larger diameter TB from 5.0 Mustang's in my stock TB's place using the 5.0's intact throttle cable attachment/spring system to potentially increase airflow and solve my busted spring issue, thoughts?
I'm loving this forum and I've already done a bunch to this pickup because of information/links so far.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be had from you guys to continue progressing on fixing up this little truck the previous owner gave up on!
Ron
:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. I haven't had the tcase damper on in ten or more years, it seemed pointless to me. Is there a certain reason you want it on, or just because you think it's needed?
2. If you're talking about the view port on the bell housing, there's a rubber gasket that fits in there.
3. Can't help at all on this one, sorry.

So I contacted Mazda USA about the time I originally posted this, gave them my VIN and the description of what I was looking for with the observation that being referred to FORD by a Mazda dealership wasn't my idea of good customer service. I haven't been contacted back by them with follow up yet.
Went to the local Ford dealership today and spoke to the parts guy, he told me Rangers and Mazda B-Pickups aren't really the same. I agreed their skins were different but tried not to be too pushy about the bolts I was looking for from a '96 vehicle 3.0 ltr 4x4 5spd manual w/o AC whether its a B3000 or Ranger being virtually identical. He did humor me and look up an exploded view of the transfer case to see the mounting bolts for the vibration damper were listed as "Hardware" so he said no bolt size/thread pitch/length to give me. He also looked up a diagram of the 5sp Manual Tranny and said the bolt I was looking for there likely was a 10mm (again no length/thread pitch) but he didn't carry it or have the ability to order it. Lastly he said the Throttle Secondary Return Spring was no longer available and I'd have to order a whole new throttle body valve assembly for Freak'n CRAZY $$$$$$

Ranger X:
I just figured most of the time vibration isn't such a great thing so if they engineered a vibration damper to lessen it, I might as well put it back on even if I don't feel it (maybe its getting rid of vibration that could shorten the transfer case life). Hell I just don't like empty bolt holes, my OCD keeps me up at night sometimes......
;)
Ron

RangerX:
"2. If you're talking about the view port on the bell housing, there's a rubber gasket that fits in there."

Behind the hole in the plate the case has threads, is the grommet you're referring to a hard rubber that's threaded?
I'm not real techno savy, but I might try and crawl back under the truck when I get home and see if I can upload an image capture of the hole/threads for you/anyone to confirm if this is where other Ranger Owners have a rubber grommet instead of a bolt like I thought.

PS Do you still have the bolts that used to hold your damper on?
;)

The grommet I'm referring to is a soft rectangular piece that you pinch the center of to put it on or take it off. Maybe it's not what you are talking about? Pics would help...

Nah, I don't have those bolts, that was years ago!

Back